Skip to main content

Cop Outs

We've all heard them, probably all used them- cop outs. These are especially prevalent when it comes to relationships, or I should say, the disinterest in a relationship. Now, some of these excuses may be genuine and honest once in a great while, but notice what I just said - once in a great while. So, for the most part, they're used as ways to either get out of a relationship or to prevent oneself from entering a relationship. Following will be some famous cop outs and what their interpretation can read as.

Let's just be friends. I don't want to ruin what we have - This is used when one brings up the idea of beginning a relationship and taking the friendship they have established to another level. What this person is really saying is, "You can either have me as a friend or have me as nothing, because there's no way I'm going to be your boyfriend/girlfriend." So, instead, they take the nicer, less aggressive route. The only problem with this is the fact it may not get the point across quite so clearly.

You're too good for me. I don't deserve you
- This could come in the middle of a relationship or when one brings up the idea of starting one. It could come as a result of a new specimen that they've found an interest in, could be from a serious self-esteem problem or it could be them trying to be extra nice out of subconscious guilt. Because, what they're really saying is, "Yeah, you may be too good for me, in some ways. Heck, I'm cheating on you, so unless you're doing likewise, you have me beat on the loyalty and honesty thing. But, guess what? An ex of mine is in town. We went out the other night, sparks flew and I'll leave the vivid details to your imagination. So, good luck and goodbye."

I'm just not ready - This would usually be said pre-relationship, when the potential couple would try to talk things over and come to the best conclusion. In some scenarios, I could understand this line. I mean, if someone just got through a 2-year relationship with a person and the next person in line asked them out right away, I could understand them using this line. But, that's usually not the case. Many times, it's just used as an excuse to say, "You know, I am ready. I'm just not ready to be with you. I wasn't ready then, am not ready now and will never be ready to be with you." Harsh, I know, but the truth hurts sometimes, which is why many elect to use these cop outs, as opposed to coming at full speed with the brutal and honest truth.

It's not you. It's me - You have to love this one. This could come at any time in a relationship. There are so many different ways to interpret this one as well. What first comes to mind, though, is, "It's you and it's me. It's you, because you can't satisfy me and it's me, because I can't stop sleeping around with people who can do just that." Whenever I hear this, I envision the film "EuroTrip" when Scott's girlfriend goes up to him after graduation and says they have to break up, going to this very line, "It's not you. It's me." This is followed by her hopping up on stage with the Matt Damon-led band, singing her national anthem of "Scotty Doesn't Know."

I just need some time to myself. I need some space - This usually comes just before the separation period and after he or she gets this time and space, the other will come back wanting to talk. But, what really goes on when this person finally has all that time and space for themselves? Anything and everything. What they're really saying is, "You know, I'm getting kind of sick of you. We hang out and talk all the time. I need to go out and be with other people. After I do that for a little while, then I'll decide if I still want to be with you."

We're just not meant to be
- I love this one. Someone decides to play the role of God in the relationship by stating this. My question for them is, if that's the case, then what is meant to be? Who are you meant to be with? Who am I meant to be with? If it's all meant to be or not meant to be, why did we date at all in the first place? That's because it isn't that simple. What they really mean here is, "We had a nice ride, but guess what? I found someone better. See ya."

Once in a while, these excuses are genuine and honest, but again, that doesn't happen all too frequently. Where there's a cop out, there's usually something hidden. So, when someone uses one of these lines on you, try to find a way to accurately interpret the truth from the BS. It's easier said than done, but if you truly try to read them, their: Facial expressions, hand gestures, eye contact (or lack there of), you'll be able to read them like a book. As Edward R. Murrow would state, "Good Night and Good Luck."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"