Skip to main content

To Blog or Not To Blog

That is the question. What even is a blog? What are they supposed to be about? Anything in particular? A play-by-play of one's life? A venting session about certain things? A cathartic release? A time to keep friends and family updated on life? An opportunity to write about situations and ask for advice? What really is the point in writing a blog?

I ask all these questions, because in all honesty, I have no idea what the answers are. I just started blogging in not too terribly long ago and it seems I hold a different philosophy of blogometry than others I've read through. The majority I've read through are the x's and o's of one's life, the play-by-play. It could be referred to as "The (name of the blogger) Daily News." It's nice to read about an exciting event in one's life: A trip that one took, a first date that went well, a graduation, a new job opportunity, amongst other things. But, sometimes, I think people go a bit too far. I'll give an exaggerated example:

"At 6:43 am, I woke up, groggy, not wanting to start the day. At 7:01, I found the strength to shower and get ready. I used Tone soap and Head & Shoulders shampoo. I finished my shower at approximately 7:20. In a hurry to get to work by 8:00, I put deodorant on, cleaned my ears with q-tips, got dressed, did my hair, brushed my teeth with Aquafresh-whitening toothpaste, made some toast and was out the door at 7:43. I made it to work just in time, at 7:59..."

Okay, I'm sure you get the idea. I love hearing great news or funny stories, but do we need to know everything? Even when talking about a special date, are there some things that people really want millions of strangers to have the opportunity to read? Surprisingly, some people don't mind.

I also read love letters from one person to another. Can't that be done in private? Does there really have to be a blog posted about it?

"Oh honey, I love you so much. I miss you. You only left 3 minutes and 22 seconds ago, but who's counting? Who am I kidding? I am. I can't wait for you to get home and give me a call. I will always love you. I really look forward to our date this upcoming weekend."

Ah, yes, isn't that shpeshal (special)?

I don't get it. When I started blogging, I thought to myself, "Why in the world would any stranger want to read about my daily life? I'm going to try and write about topics that the majority can relate to, discuss or debate. It'd be nice to add some humor as well. A good laugh can never hurt."

So, I've done Late Show-like Top Ten Lists, written random comments about holidays and celebrities, done movie reviews, written about political issues and covered other topics. When I got personal, I shared some humorous date stories from my past, just because, well, they've received plenty of laughs from when I shared them previously. But, the more I browse bloggerworld, the more day-to-day personal news stories I read.

Is there an official blogger's manual one can read? I'm a newbie with this sort of thing, so I'd like to catch up on all the secrets on which I'm obviously behind. "To blog or not to blog" isn't even the question anymore. The rest of the questions I opened this up with are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"