Skip to main content

Dennis Rodman Syndrome (DRS)

Anybody remember Dennis Rodman? The basketball player whom pulled down 15-20 rebounds a game, maybe coming away with 4-6 points? He was Mr. Rebound while in the league.

I've known a few Dennis Rodmans in my day and no, I'm not talking about it in a basketball sense. I'm talking about it in a relationship sense. Know any people like that? They just bounce around like a pinball from one person to the next. Every guy or gal they date is a rebound. There will come a point where a guy or gal they date is a rebound off of a rebound off of a rebound off of a rebound. That's a lot of rebounds right there.

I admit, I've thought about rebounding before, but haven't been able to follow through with it. I tried going out and admitting to myself that I was over an ex, but when I was out and about, I realized I wasn't over her yet. So, I'd be honest about that and it'd be a one-date stint.

So, what's it take to rebound? Is there such a thing as a successful rebound or are most rebounds followed up by a travel, a personal foul or another missed shot? After a rebound, do most people try to force up a quick shot instead of using all 24 seconds in the shot clock? How many rebounds would it take before they are finally able to convert on the shot successfully?

It just seems like it's one guy or gal after another with these people. There might be a day or two in between relationships, but that's about it. If they're single for a week or more, then they start pondering about crawling back to their ex.

What's so bad about being single? Why is there the constant need for a love interest with some people? Don't we need time to recuperate when getting out of a long-term relationship? I hear from many that it usually takes half the time that two people dated in order to get over them. So, if a couple dated for two years, it'd take about a full year to completely get over them. For the most part, that's held pretty true for me. I dated a gal for close to two years (22 months) and it took me about 9 months to get over her. In those 9 months, did I try to date? Yes, I did, but those were all very short-lasted, because I realized I was not over her and I felt it wasn't fair of me to get involved with someone when I knew darn well I wasn't fully over my ex.

I do know of a few rebound relationships that actually worked, well, technically speaking. The couples got married, but happily? I couldn't say that.

So, what's the moral of the story? When one gets out of a long-term relationship, get off the court and be a benchwarmer or a coach for a while. They shouldn't get back out there until they know they're ready to play and successfully convert on their shots, as opposed to missing left and right and coming down with Rodman-like statistics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"