Skip to main content

Who Invented Hallmark (Valentine’s) Day?

"Man, my wife is ticked at me. She claims I'm not around enough and she's always wanting me to buy her flowers. She loves chocolate and says I don't compliment her. I'm sick of it. Why does she always have to complain? I mean, I do my job. I bring money home to pay the bills and put food on the table. Isn't that a compliment in and of itself?," said Bubba.

"My wife is the same exact way. It's never enough. I'll even take her to Dairy Queen once in a while and that still isn't good enough for her. What can we do, you know? We work until six, come home, want dinner and just want to relax," Jordan replied.

"Hey guys," Lance chimed in, "I know of a way to get your wives to stop complaining and believe me, along with that, all of your wildest dreams and fantasies will come true."

Bubba and Jordan simultaneously said, "What? How?"

"Okay," Lance started in on his advice, "This is how you do it. Just pick a day, one day in the year and make that the special day she's been wanting. If she wanted flowers, get her flowers. If she wanted chocolates, get her chocolates. If she wants compliments, buy her a sappy Hallmark card. If you want to get cute, get a teddy bear and take her out to dinner. When she receives all of this, she'll be all yours, guys! There won't be any complaints! Love will fill the air the rest of the night and for the rest of the week, maybe month, if your wife is really thankful. Trust me guys. It'll work!"

Bubba curiously asked, "Wait. So, what day do you pick? I mean, I can't just look at a calendar and pick out a random day. Her birthday is August 14th."

"Alright, well, make the day six months from then, so you can spread out the celebrations. How about February 14th? It'll hold you over for six months and then you can give her a similar day on August 14th for her birthday. How's that sound?," Lance replied.

Jordan looked deep in thought, scratching his head and said, "You know, Lance, that's a great idea! I think I'm going to do that. February 14th is a great day for it! My wife's birthday is in September, so February is spread out pretty well. We should just make a holiday out of this and spread word around to the males out there. What should we call it?"

Lance responded, "Well, the day is all about buying gifts to try and show our love in order to receive love in return. So, it all revolves around love, in one way or another. Love Day doesn't sound right, though."

"Neither do Chocolate Day, Flower Day or Card Day," commented Bubba.

"Wait, I've got it! I got it. Hallmark Day!," exclaimed Jordan enthusiastically (Hallmark Day, as it was originally called, would later be changed to Valentine's Day).

So, from that day forward, Bubba, Jordan and Lance were on a mission for all males. They spread word around through gossip, through mail, through fliers and on February 14th, all would forever be changed. They each got their wives a dozen roses, Russell Stover chocolates and Hallmark cards that looked sappy. When they and other males arrived home with their gifts, the wives were ecstatic. Some were in absolute shock. The majority cried. They all had a smile on their face and what Lance guaranteed to his buddies came true. But, the longer this day became celebrated, the more that was expected.

"What did Lance get you yesterday for Valentine's Day?," asked Chloe', Bubba's wife.

"The same old, same old. He got me a dozen roses, some Russell Stover's chocolates and some Hallmark card. What did Bubba and Jordan get the two of you?," responded Julie, Lance's wife.

"Bubba bought me some tickets to the musical, a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a diamond ring," Chloe' stated, as she showed off her new ring to her friends.

"Gosh, you are so lucky, Chloe'! I only got this cheap necklace and these dull earrings. Nothing much really," Jordan's wife, Theresa, responded.

From that point forward, Valentine's Day became nothing more than a bragging party and competition for the ladies and as it always had been, a fallback or reminder day for the males. The day that was to celebrate love became a day to celebrate the love of material things. The holiday became nothing but obligatory buying by the husbands and expecting by the wives.

But there was one couple that never needed Valentine's Day. Gregory and Lisa had the concept of love down pat without needing any reminders.

"So, what did you get your wife for Valentine's Day, man?," asked Jerry.

"Nothing really. I made her a card, wrote her a poem and left work early to have a candlelight dinner ready for her by the time she got home," responded Gregory.

"Really, man? What's wrong with you? My wife would've flipped if I did that. I mean, how much money did you spend on her," inquired Jerry.

"Well, I bought the food a few days ago. So, if you're just asking what did I buy for her and only her on Valentine's Day and how much money did I spend doing it, then nothing," Gregory said.

"Geez, what, are you cheap or something? Are you having financial problems?," asked Jerry.

"No, why? Well, anyway, my wife really enjoyed the gifts and we had a splendid evening together," Greg said, smiling.

"Man, I don't know about you. It's like a given you have to at least buy your wife flowers on Valentine's Day. That's in a rulebook somewhere. I haven't read it, but I'm sure it's there," retorted Jerry.

"I bought her flowers a couple months ago. I could tell she was having a really bad day and I thought it'd be the perfect time to go out and buy something to cheer her up and let her know I was thinking about her. So, what did you get for your wife?," asked Gregory.

"Well, I screwed up bad just a couple weeks ago. I didn't follow through with some things I had promised and she was not pleased. We weren't on very good speaking terms, so I had to go out and spoil her. I went out and bought about every greeting card, chocolate, candy and flower you could imagine," Jerry replied.

"That was very nice of you. I hope all of the gifts were able to cheer her up and get you two talking again," replied Gregory, sincerely.

"Yeah, well, she seemed very happy when I gave her all of the gifts, but I have to be honest, our communication still isn't where it was or where it should be," Jerry stated.

"Go and surprise her sometime. Write her a poem. Do something where you're truly expressing your feelings to her. I mean, those flowers will only last so long, as will those chocolates. The cards are sweet, but those words aren't totally genuine. They're written for you and not by you. Try surprising her sometime in the next couple weeks by opening up to her and truly making her feel that you understand why she's been feeling the way she has, that you'll make up for what you did and that you love her. Do it. I promise, she'll be ecstatic," Gregory said confidently.

Two weeks later, on March 1st, Jerry finally took Gregory up on his advice. He came home from work early on a Wednesday afternoon and set everything up. Romantic music was playing. The fireplace was lit. Jerry dimmed the lights down all throughout the house, placed and lit candles all over and cooked Debbie's favorite meal. When Debbie came home, she was in tears, unsure of what to say, but Gregory knew exactly what to say. He was open and honest with his wife, apologized for his mistakes, asked for forgiveness, said he'd make up for his wrong-doings and told her how much he loves her. From that point forward, she was all smiles. His previous mistakes were all but forgotten and their love blossomed to a level they never thought possible, similar to that of Gregory and Lisa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"