Skip to main content

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s).

While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze.

One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all:

Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve your score. The only downside of this power-up is the fact there's no set time for it. When I've been really on a roll and clicked on this power-up, it's seemed to last for 15-20 seconds. However, when things aren't going as smoothly, it's seemed to last for just 5-10 seconds. In any case, I think I've found this power-up to be the most consistently effective of them all.

Inspiration - This power-up can be used three times in the course of a game. When you click on it, letters in a word are highlighted for you. In other words, this power-up gives you three words for a game. It can be fairly effective in helping a player find a new starting place where to find a great multitude of words. The words it provides typically aren't of the extremely high-score variety, but they don't tend to be of the extremely low-score variety either. All-in-all, I think it's a decent power-up, but unless you want to purchase two or more power-ups for a round, I'd recommend the "freeze" power-up over this one.

Scramble - I think this is my least favorite of all the power-ups. I can understand how it could be a effective at times, but I don't think I'll ever waste another token on it. What it does is alter the angle of the grid to provide the player with a different perspective. Sometimes a different angle of the grid can help a player see words he or she hadn't seen previously. Again, though, unless a player has had great success with this power-up, I'd probably stray away from this one.

Vision - This is a more recent power-up than the other three I've mentioned. It's similar to "inspiration," but I think I like this one slightly better. With a click on this power-up, a player is given three words to find. Once he or she has found the three words, he/she is given an additional 15 seconds of time. What I like more about this power-up than "inspiration" is the fact it gives me 15 additional seconds to find words. If a player isn't very quick in finding words, I might recommend "inspiration" over this one, as this wouldn't save him/her much time in the end. However, if the player is fairly quick like myself, then those 15 additional seconds can really pay some dividends at game's end.

Mega-Freeze - This is the most recent addition to the power-ups. The title of it is pretty fitting, as it's like the "freeze" power-up multiplied by about four. This power-up gives a player a full minute of extra time. The catch? It costs money. I gave it one gander to see if it was worth the price and came away feeling slightly disappointed. If a player uses this power-up in a 3rd round where there are a lot of words and points available on the grid, then it could very well be worth the price for that game. However, I honestly think that person would be better off spending a few tokens (not actual money) on multiple "freeze" power-ups than spending money on this. The time I used this power-up, the grid wasn't a very good one, and I wound up only using approximately 15 of the 60 additional seconds finding words due to that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"