Skip to main content

College Football Overtime Strategy

Upon winning the coin toss for overtime in a college football game, I have never witnessed a team choosing to go on offense first. Every single time I've seen such a game, the team who won the coin toss has elected to go on defense first. The reason for this is it gives them the last chance in the first overtime and through that, provides them with the necessary information on what they will need to do on their possession in order to either win the game or move it to a second overtime. If the opposing team scores a field goal on their possession, the team who elected to go on defense first will then know they'll need a field goal to send the game to a second overtime or a touchdown to win in the first overtime. 

I understand that, but think I would go about things differently if I were a college coach. It depends on location. If my team were playing at home, I would elect to go on defense first. I'd trust that the crowd would add extra pressure on the opponent on their first (and hopefully only) possession in the extra session, and provide my team with a significant advantage due to that. If my team were playing on the road, however, I may opt to go on offense first. I'd want to ease the pressure off my team and place it on the opponent. In a tough road environment, if I elected to go on defense first and my opponent scored a touchdown, it'd be doubly difficult for my team to tie the game and send it to a second overtime. 

It's like in baseball. Is it nice being the home team and if the game is tied in the 9th inning, to be given the final at bats in the game before potentially heading to extra innings? Of course. However, if I had a choice between being up a run going to the bottom of the 9th inning on the road or being down a run going to the bottom of the 9th at home, I'd choose the former over the latter. To all these college football coaches, it's just about numbers in terms of scoring and knowing what they need to win the game or send it to another overtime. From my perspective, it's about numbers in terms of odds and probability of winning. I'd be very curious to see such numbers in overtime games - how teams have fared when playing defense in the first overtime, and if the results differed any on the road versus at home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"