Skip to main content

Romney compares hurricane to football field

Shortly after Hurricane Sandy struck the northeastern part of the country, Republican nominee Mitt Romney canceled a campaign rally in the critical battleground state of Ohio - the city of Kettering to be exact - and held a disaster-relief event in one Kettering, Ohio instead. At this rally - I mean, disaster-relief event - Romney shared a story with Ohioans which showcased that he is just as capable of leading in the wake of a natural disaster as President Obama when he illustrated this in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

According to Romney, his own Hurricane Sandy went as follows:

"I remember once we had a football field at my high school. The field was covered with rubbish and paper goods from people who'd had a big celebration there at the game. And there was a group of us there assigned to clean it up. And I thought, 'how are we going to clean up all the mess on this football field?' There were just a few of us. And the person responsible for organizing the effort said, 'Just line up along the yard lines. You go between the goal line and the 10-yard line, and the next person between the 10 and the 20, and just walk down and do your lane. And if everybody cleans their lanes, we'll get it done.' And so today, we're cleaning one lane if you will."

That's right - Mitt Romney compared a storm which has resulted in 8.5 million homes losing power and over 50 people losing their lives to a football field covered with "rubbish and paper goods."

In light of Mitt making that insane comparison in an attempt to make him look like a born leader ready to be President of the United States, I'm going to provide some other like comparisons I think Romney has either already made or will make at some point in the future.

Event: Tornado damage in the plains' states

Romney comparison: "Looking at all the destruction done to this area, it reminds me of a time when I was a kid. One night I had a sleepover. After everyone went home the next day, I looked at my room and it was a mess. You wouldn't believe how many bottles of water were lying around, how many snacks, like fruits and vegetables, were scattered about. There were at least six or seven Book of Mormon's on the floor, which my friends must have left by accident. I never thought the room would be clean again, but guess what? I was able to do it - in just about a half hour, I think. That's what we're going to do here. The four states that were hit by this devastating tornado are exactly like my room that day and they'll take just about 15-30 minutes to clean up."


Event: Earthquake on the West Coast

Romney comparison: "An old friend of mine drove a truck and when I first entered, it felt as if the world was shaking. I was scared for my life, held onto the handle and asked what was going on. This music was just blaring from his speakers - rap, I think it was. It felt like the entire truck, the world was shaking to the point where I said a prayer, asking the Lord to save my life. My friend then told me to relax - that it was just the subwoofers or something like that. So, please, know that I understand what you're all going through after having to experience that earthquake yesterday, which registered 8.4 on the Richter scale I believe it was. Once I turned the volume off, the shaking stopped. My prayer had been answered. It was a miracle! Whenever another earthquake hits, just say a prayer, turn the volume off and everything will be okay."


Event: Terrorist attack

Romney comparison: "Terrorists are the most frightening people in the world. It's hard for me to describe them in words. Whenever I hear or read about one of their atrocious acts, I immediately think of these neighborhood bullies, who once attacked a snow-fort some friends of mine and I had made. They were really coming after it with snowballs and more snowballs. It left my friends and I really scared. After we told our parents, the bullies got into trouble and never bothered us again. After I get through with these terrorists, like I did with the neighborhood bullies, they'll never bother us again! That's a promise!"

http://tv.msnbc.com/2012/10/31/romney-compares-sandy-relief-to-cleaning-up-after-high-school-football-game/

http://theweek.com/article/index/235611/the-deadly-wrath-of-hurricane-sandy-by-the-numbers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"