Skip to main content

Suffering from Burned Out On Facebook Syndrome (BOOFS)? You're not alone...

While it took me a while (longer than most) to give Facebook a chance, after I moved from Omaha, Nebraska to Columbus, Ohio, I quickly got hooked on the popular social networking site. It allowed me to keep in touch with my friends in Omaha, with family in Detroit, and with new friends I made in the Columbus area. It introduced me to: Words With Friends, Bejeweled Blitz, and Candy Crush, among other games. It inspired heated debates, fact-checking, posting silly statuses and pictures, etc. After 6+ years on the site, however, I've found myself losing interest, and judging by others I've talked to regarding the matter, I'm not alone. If you're not sure whether or not you're getting tired of Facebook, here are some major signs that you, like me, are coming down with BOOFS (Burned Out On Facebook Syndrome):

1) Selfie-hating - While it's never good to self-hate, selfie-hating is perfectly understandable, especially on social networking sites like Facebook (or "My Face," as my father ironically calls it). In a study I just concocted in my own noggin, 9 out of 10 people whom post selfies do it to garner attention and positive comments due to insecurity. So, while most of us may not comment on these selfies, if you've reached a point where you're tempted to comment on 9 of every 10 selfies with something like, "Did you ever wash your hair?" or "Are you pregnant or something?" you may have come down with BOOFS, and it may be best to take a break from Facebook as a result.

2) The shortest distance between two pointless statuses is Facebook - Ever read any statuses like this: "I'm about to brush my teeth," "I'm feeling lazy today," "I love eating cereal every morning," or "In and out of the shower in 5 minutes"? Have you reached the point where, whenever you see these statuses, you immediately shake your head and yell out, "Who f*#king cares?" If so, I'm afraid you've come down with BOOFS and you better look far away from Facebook before you start a fight with regard to not caring about what a person does every second of every day.

3) Gag-reflex pics - Let's face it - Americans love their food. We love our food so much, approximately 43.2% of us feel the need to share pictures of what we're about to eat with friends on Facebook before we actually consume the meal. So, if you're a food lover like most of us in this country and you're starting to gag every time you see pictures of meals on Facebook, this is a definite sign of BOOFS and I highly recommend removing yourself from the site for at least three weeks.

4) Drama-edy - Are you like me and have that one Facebook friend whom posts an extremely dramatic, over-the-top, oh-woe-is-me status at least once a week? Did you used to try consoling this "friend" during their hard times and have now reached the point where, when reading their dramatic statuses, you reach for a bag of popcorn, a beer, and start laughing uncontrollably like you had just inhaled your fair share of nitrous oxide? If so, you're either high, drunk, or have come down with BOOFS.

5) Bah-Humbug the Holidays - Are you getting a little tired of hearing "Happy Birthday" from people you haven't seen for 15-20 years? Is it starting to bother you that everyone you know has the best mother and father in the world, so awesome, they'd rather talk about them on Facebook than spend time with them? Does even hearing 424 cyber-friends say "Merry Christmas" make you want to blurt out, "I'm Jewish!" even though you're not? If so, then I'm afraid you've come down with BOOFS, and here's some eggnog for your troubles.

Other possible signs you have BOOFS

- You want to "dislike" a certain person (Facebook stalker) that always seems to like everything you say or post.

- When someone "pokes" you, your first instinct is to look for a "punch back" option.

- Your long-time crush is starting to annoy you to the point where you start asking yourself, "Why did I like him/her again?"

- You've customized a shirt which says, "F*#k Your Farmville Requests!"

- You woke up this morning and thought to yourself, "That's it! I'm going back to MySpace. Wait - is that even around anymore?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"