Skip to main content

Week 1 NFL Predictions

As I did last year, I thought I'd predict every NFL game this season. Since the first game of the season is tonight, I better get my picks in rather quickly here. As far as last year went, I did pretty well. My regular season record was 163-92-1 (.639). My numbers weren't quite as impressive in the playoffs, as I went just 6-5 (.545). Overall, however, my record was 169-97-1 (.635). Given how much parity is in the league anymore, I'll take it!

Thursday
Game: Green Bay at Seattle

Pick: Seattle - Given how tough the referees were on defensive backs in the pre-season, I did contemplate taking Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers in this one. However, with the game in Seattle, where it seems rarer for the Seahawks to lose than for me to win the lottery, I'll go with the defending Super Bowl champions by a field goal.

Result: Seattle 36 Green Bay 16

Record: 1-0


Sunday
Game: New Orleans at Atlanta

Pick: New Orleans - No matter if it's home or away, Drew Brees and his offense look to be more comfortable in domes than their opponents. Atlanta was a much better team than their record indicated a year ago, but until the Falcons offensive line proves to me they can protect Matt Ryan, I'll be tentative on picking them. The Saints and their high-powered offense should win this one by a couple of scores.

Result: Atlanta 37 New Orleans 34 OT

Record: 1-1


Game: Minnesota at St. Louis

Pick: St. Louis - This should be a low-scoring affair, but while I was half-tempted to go with Adrian Peterson and the Vikings, I favor strong defenses when going up against one great player on an offense than the reverse. The Rams have one of the best front sevens in all of football and should be able to contain Peterson and the Vikings offense enough to allow for their suspect offense to score enough points for the victory. I'll take the Rams by 4.

Result: Minnesota 34 St. Louis 6

Record: 1-2


Game: Cleveland at Pittsburgh

Pick: Pittsburgh - Whether it's Brian Hoyer, Johnny Manziel, Ryan Leaf, or a bum by the name of Joe Schmo at quarterback for the Cleveland Browns, they'll be without their #1 threat on offense in wide receiver Josh Gordon. The Browns stingy defense should keep things relatively close through the first two-and-a-half quarters, but expect the Steelers to pull away late in the 3rd or early in the 4th. I'll take Pittsburgh by two touchdowns.

Result: Pittsburgh 30 Cleveland 27

Record: 2-2


Game: Jacksonville at Philadelphia

Pick: Philadelphia - Without do-everything back Maurice Jones-Drew, who do the Jaguars have again? Oh yeah, rookie quarterback Bryce Bortles, who won't be starting this year (apparently)... That should be reason enough for me to take the high-flying Eagles. I'll go with Philly by a bunch (three plus scores).

Result: Philadelphia 34 Jacksonville 17

Record: 3-2


Game: Oakland at NY Jets

Pick: NY Jets - If the game were in Oakland and Matt Schaub were starting, I'd be highly tempted to go with the Raiders. However, with rookie quarterback Derek Carr taking the snaps and the team having to travel from the West Coast to the East Coast, the odds are definitely not in the Raiders' favor in this one. Rex Ryan has to be licking his chops when thinking about opening the season going after a rookie quarterback. I'll go with the Jets by 10.

Result: NY Jets 19 Oakland 14

Record: 4-2


Game: Cincinnati at Baltimore

Pick: Cincinnati - This could be called the overpaid quarterbacks bowl. Just kidding... Okay, so not really. Regardless of the quarterback situations, though, Cincinnati simply has a better overall team, on both sides of the ball, than Baltimore. Unless Andy Dalton transforms into his playoff self, I expect to see the Bengals win this one by about a touchdown.

Result: Cincinnati 23 Baltimore 16

Record: 5-2


Game: Buffalo at Chicago

Pick: Buffalo - Here's my upset pick of the week. Chicago's defense last year was the worst I'd ever seen it. Buffalo's defense, meanwhile, especially their pass defense, has improved quite significantly over the past couple of years, and they have all the pieces in place on offense to start making a move toward a playoff-caliber team. So long as quarterback E.J. Manuel, running back C.J. Spiller, and wideout Sammy Watkins stay healthy, this could be a sleeper team to keep your eye on. I'll go with the Bills in an upset over the Bears by a field goal.

Result: Buffalo 23 Chicago 20 OT

Record: 6-2


Game: Washington at Houston

Pick: Washington - While it should be fun to watch Houston's defense this year, that doesn't excuse the fact they likely won't have much of an offense. Washington, meanwhile, has a great new toy to play with on offense in speedy wideout DeSean Jackson. With Robert Griffin III healthy again, so long as he protects himself better, should have a nice bounce-back year for his team. Houston should keep it interesting for a while, but their lack of punch on offense will cost them in the end. I'll go with Washington by a touchdown.

Result: Houston 17 Washington 6

Record: 6-3


Game: Tennessee at Kansas City

Pick: Kansas City - Tennessee tends to be a pain-in-the-butt loser. They seem to play most everyone close, but find a way to lose in the end, and will wind up 7-9 and sitting at home during the playoffs. Given that, I expect the Titans to keep things relatively close for a while, but with the game at Arrowhead Stadium, I'd be hard-pressed to believe Andy Reid's Chiefs will lose this home-opener. I'll go with Kansas City by 10.

Result: Tennessee 26 Kansas City 10

Record: 6-4


Game: New England at Miami

Pick: New England - The Patriots started to gel offensively toward the end of last year. Not only that, but they significantly improved their defense in the off-season. What I'm trying to say is, good luck, Miami! I'll take Tom Brady and the Pats by at least two touchdowns.

Result: Miami 33 New England 20

Record: 6-5


Game: Carolina at Tampa Bay

Pick: Carolina - Given the two teams' records from a year ago, I'm befuddled on how Tampa Bay is favored in this one. They did improve their defense quite a bit in the off-season, but I'm still not going to show much confidence in the Bucs until I see them display this alleged significant improvement on the field in the regular season. Due to that and the great Panthers defense, I'm going to give the edge to Carolina. The one thing that worries me, however, is the condition of Cam Newton's ribs. If he gets hit hard and goes down early, that could spell trouble for the Panthers. For the time being, though, I'll go with Carolina by 6.

Result: Carolina 20 Tampa Bay 14

Record: 7-5


Game: San Francisco at Dallas

Pick: San Francisco - The 49ers have had some off-season issues, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The media has also obsessed about their lack of offensive productivity in the pre-season. With Jim Harbaugh at the helm, however, and the fact he's led the team to three consecutive NFC Championship games (and one Super Bowl appearance), I'm going to trust his philosophy and system a hell of a lot more than the seemingly always .500 Dallas Cowboys. I'll take the Niners by 10.

Result: San Francisco 28 Dallas 17

Record: 8-5


Game: Indianapolis at Denver

Pick: Denver - Wes Welker's absence will definitely affect Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos offense. However, even without Welker, the team is still loaded on that side of the ball, and with a revamped defense, in conjunction with the Colts' pathetic excuse for a running game, I'll take the Broncos at home by a couple of scores.

Result: Denver 31 Indianapolis 24

Record: 9-5


Monday
Game: NY Giants at Detroit

Pick: Detroit - It appears as if Eli Manning and company are still getting used to the new system installed on offense, and it may take a few more weeks before they're in sync with one another. Given that and the fact the Giants defense hasn't been much of a force on pressuring opposing quarterbacks, I look for Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson to light it up and for the Lions to win by a pair of touchdowns.

Result: Detroit 35 NY Giants 14

Record: 10-5


Game: San Diego at Arizona

Pick: Arizona - I think while the two teams' offenses are fairly equal, Arizona bolsters a much better defense than the Chargers, and with the game at home, I give a slight edge to the Cardinals. I'll take Arizona by 4.

Result: Arizona 18 San Diego 17

Record: 11-5


Week 1: 11-5 (.688)

Overall: 11-5 (.688)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"