Skip to main content

Week 2 NFL Predictions

Thursday
Game: Pittsburgh at Baltimore

Pick: Pittsburgh - Before yesterday, I would have gone with the Ravens at home. However, after the extended Ray Rice video emerged, the league suspended him indefinitely, and the team terminated his contract, I have a difficult time seeing Baltimore being fully prepared and focused for this big inner-division battle on Thursday night. While Pittsburgh's late (near) collapse against Cleveland worries me some, I'm going to have to give them the slight edge in this one. I'll take the Steelers by 4.

Result: Baltimore 26 Pittsburgh 6

Record: 0-1


Sunday
Game: Miami at Buffalo

Pick: Buffalo - With Miami playing New England and Buffalo traveling to Chicago last week, who would have guessed both teams would be 1-0 heading into this AFC East match-up? While I was highly impressed by Miami's second-half performance against the Patriots, I think Buffalo's solid defense will give Ryan Tannehill fits and the Bills offense will do just enough to prevail in the end. I'll go with Buffalo by a field goal.

Result: Buffalo 29 Miami 10

Record: 1-1


Game: Jacksonville at Washington

Pick: Washington - With how Washington played last year and how they performed against Houston this past weekend, I'm having a hard time picking them. However, they are at home against Jacksonville, so if they can't win this game, they might as well throw in the towels, because they'll then find it to be quite the daunting task to win any game this season. If they lose this game, owner Daniel Snyder may wind up changing the team's name - not due to offending Native Americans, but due to offending he and the rest of the team's fans. In any case, I guess I'll take Washington by a touchdown.

Result: Washington 41 Jacksonville 10

Record: 2-1


Game: Dallas at Tennessee

Pick: Dallas - Even after defeating the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead on Sunday, Tennessee is a mystery team to me, whereas Dallas has been a .500 team for as long as I can remember. With their putrid first-half performance against San Francisco on Sunday, expect for Tony Romo and the Cowboys offense to bounce back and even the team's record (yet again). I'll go with Dallas by a touchdown.

Result: Dallas 26 Tennessee 10

Record: 3-1


Game: Arizona at NY Giants

Pick: Arizona - History would dictate that this isn't a wise pick. West coast teams have historically done very poorly when having to travel to the other coast. However, even if Arizona's offense struggles, their defense should still have a field day with the New York Giants offense - their offensive line and Eli Manning in particular. If Eli and head coach Tom Coughlin were frustrated by the Detroit Lions pressure on Monday night, they haven't seen anything yet. I'll take the Cardinals by 4.

Result: Arizona 25 NY Giants 14

Record: 4-1


Game: New England at Minnesota

Pick: New England - If I were just going by what I saw this past weekend, I'd take the Vikings in this one, without any hesitation. However, with history being my guide, I have a very difficult time seeing Bill Belichick and Tom Brady starting this season 0-2 while playing Miami and Minnesota. Expect a big bounce-back game for the Patriots, but for the Vikings to keep things close until the end. I'll go with New England by a touchdown. Update: With Adrian Peterson being listed as inactive, I expect the Patriots to win by at least ten.

Result: New England 30 Minnesota 7

Record: 5-1


Game: New Orleans at Cleveland

Pick: New Orleans - These past 2-3 years, it's seemed as if the Saints are a completely different team on the road than they are at home. While their offense still scores points, it's as if their defense forgets how to tackle (or cover, or do much of anything). Even so, I have a difficult time seeing Brian Hoyer and the Cleveland Browns offense, void of Josh Gordon, keeping up with the New Orleans Saints offense. I'll take the Saints by a touchdown.

Result: Cleveland 26 New Orleans 24

Record: 5-2


Game: Atlanta at Cincinnati

Pick: Cincinnati - Kudos to the Atlanta Falcons for their big inner-division win against New Orleans on Sunday. However, reality to the Atlanta Falcons - the Cincinnati Bengals defense is twenty times better than the Saints defense, and at home, expect for Matt Ryan to get pressured and roughed up quite a bit. I'll take the Bengals by 7.

Result: Cincinnati 24 Atlanta 10

Record: 6-2


Game: Detroit at Carolina

Pick: Detroit - This was one of the two most difficult picks for me to make. With Cam Newton likely coming back for the Panthers this coming Sunday, though, I have to believe the Lions #1 priority will be to get pressure on the quarterback, hit him early and often, and see just how healthy he really is. Chances are the Panthers coaching staff will want Newton to be fairly careful when on the field, so he may be limited in his running, which could very well limit the Panthers offense. So long as Matthew Stafford doesn't get too careless with the football as he does sometimes, I like for the Lions to win this tough road game by 4.

Result: Carolina 24 Detroit 7

Record: 6-3


Game: St. Louis at Tampa Bay

Pick: Tampa Bay - The quarterback situation in St. Louis is so iffy at this point in time, I'm not sure I'd be able to pick them against anyone other than Jacksonville right now. With the game on the road against an improved Tampa Bay squad, I will reluctantly go with the Bucs by a touchdown.

Result: St. Louis 19 Tampa Bay 17

Record: 6-4


Game: Seattle at San Diego

Pick: Seattle - This could be a tricky game for the Seattle Seahawks. While they're almost guaranteed 7 or 8 wins at home this year, they haven't been nearly as dominant on the road in recent years, and with San Diego losing a heart-breaker to Arizona on Monday, they'll feel an extra sense of urgency to win this one at home and prevent themselves from starting the season at 0-2. However, even in saying all of that, I'm going to have trouble picking against the Seahawks. Not only does their defense look just as dominant (if not more dominant) as it was last year, but their offense appears to have improved as well. San Diego-urgency or not, I like Seattle to win by 7.

Result: San Diego 30 Seattle 21

Record: 6-5


Game: Houston at Oakland

Pick: Houston - For as well as Houston's defense handled Robert Griffin III on Sunday, I have to believe they'll be ready to handle rookie quarterback Derek Carr this coming weekend. Houston's offense may be nothing to marvel about just yet, but for as solid as their defense is, it's not going to matter, through the first two weeks of the season anyway. I'll take Houston by 4.

Result: Houston 30 Oakland 14

Record: 7-5


Game: NY Jets at Green Bay

Pick: Green Bay - Let me think about this for a moment here... Aaron Rodgers playing at home, needing a win to prevent his Green Bay Packers from starting the season 0-2, against second-year quarterback Geno Smith, whom I like to refer to as Mr. Inconsistent? I'll take Rodgers and the Packers by 10.

Result: Green Bay 31 NY Jets 24

Record: 8-5


Game: Kansas City at Denver

Pick: Denver - For as awful as the Chiefs played at home against the Tennessee Titans on Sunday, I have an extremely difficult time seeing them even compete with the Denver Broncos for four quarters, let alone win the game. I'll take Denver by two touchdowns.

Result: Denver 24 Kansas City 17

Record: 9-5


Game: Chicago at San Francisco

Pick: San Francisco - In addition to playing at home, I simply like how San Francisco's versatile offense matches up with Chicago's mediocre defense (to be kind) better than Chicago's skilled, but inconsistent offense (thanks, Jay Cutler) matches up with the hard-nosed 49ers defense. Expect Chicago to make a game of it, but for the Niners to prevail in the end by a field goal.

Result: Chicago 28 San Francisco 20

Record: 9-6


Monday
Game: Philadelphia at Indianapolis

Pick: Philadelphia - Along with Detroit/Carolina, this was the other game I had the most trouble picking. Even with the game at home and Andrew Luck seeming to excel late in games, I have to give the edge to the balanced Philadelphia Eagles offense, especially since Nick Foles won't have to deal with Robert Mathis. Until the Colts find some semblance of a running game or a defense, I have a hard time seeing them as an "elite"-caliber team.

Result: Philadelphia 30 Indianapolis 27

Record: 10-6


Week 2 Record:10-6 (.625)

Overall Record: 21-11 (.656)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"