Skip to main content

Another Man I Love - James Dobson

That sounds bad, doesn't it? ANOTHER man? Yeah, I already know what you're thinking. But, it's meant to be tongue-n-cheek and no, don't even take that expression literally.

When I went in for an interview a while back regarding a book of mine, my gut instinct told me not to get into any discussions about politics. I came to find out that day, as usual, my gut was correct and thank God I didn't talk or debate politics during the interview.

A name the interviewer kept bringing up was that of James Dobson. She asked me if I had heard of him and I hesitated, thought for a moment, and then nodded and responded with a yes. That summed up my knowledge of the guy. I had heard his name before, but didn't know much about him. Oddly enough, I started hearing his name more and more over the following couple weeks and it always seemed to be something involving politics.

At the time, I resided in the fourth most conservative state in the country, Nebraska. The only states that were more red than the cornfield state were possibly Utah, Idaho and Wyoming. I, on the other hand, am not conservative when it comes to politics. Only once in a great while will I take what is referred to as the "conservative" position on an issue. So, when I discuss politics, especially when I lived in Nebraska, I try/-ied to watch my mouth and appear(ed) to play the devil's advocate by asking simple questions, as opposed to attacking another's position through a vulgar debate of some kind.

After some research I did on this James Dobson, I am grateful that I didn't start talking politics with my interviewer. I gave her a free signed copy of the book as a show of thanks for conducting the interview and allowing the story to be in the paper. But, I can only imagine how long it'll be until she burns that free copy.

James Dobson appears to be another Pat Robertson, just less loony with some of his statements. Either way, he's pretty extreme. When I say extreme, I mean it in reference to the political spectrum, as in EXTREME right.

Pat Robertson comes across many times as loopy. One example is when he claimed that he leg-pressed 2,000 pounds when he was a young 73. So, when I hear about Robertson or even see or listen to the guy speak, I giggle, a similar reaction to when I hear Bush speak.

But, Dobson doesn't give off that same loopy impression to me. I can't see him saying next week that he heard from God that it'll be a crazy year weather wise or that he can squat 15,246 pounds. I can't see that happening. His statements are more frightening than humorous, in my opinion.

Dobson is very much pro-life and you know what? I don't really have a problem with that, but he brings religion and The Bible into it and that, I do have a problem with. When someone takes a moral stance on an issue and strongly speaks out on it by interpreting a book that they didn't write as being the grounds to prove the issue is moral or immoral, I find it to be truly ignorant.

Dobson is also very old-fashioned when it comes to his view of a "traditional" family. He very much believes that this is a patriarchal society, that men are the superiors and women are the inferiors. He believes that no female should hold a job of authority (ex: teacher, priest, high government position, boss). If Hillary Clinton ran for president, Dobson may not support her anyway, for the fact that she's a Democrat, but, the most important issue to him would not be political affiliation; it'd be gender. Men are here to rule and women are here to support and nurture, is his logic. He doesn't speak out against interracial dating, but doesn't necessarily support the idea either. That's a very positive stance compared to his outlook on gays. He believes that homosexuality is more of a danger than terrorism. Oddly enough, he doesn't believe it (homosexuality) to be a choice, but that it can be cured. In other words, he looks at homosexuality as a curable disease. What are ways to "prevent" homosexuality, in his mind? For fathers to partake in "macho" activities with the son, right when he comes out of his mother's womb basically. Right then, it's time to start playing catch and with matchbox cars, and who knows what else. That's not even the funny theory. I've heard that one before. He also believes that at a very young age, the father should take his son into the shower with him, so that his child notices his "manhood" and therefore, knows what it is to be "masculine." Dobson isn't one to believe in divorce. He doesn't believe much in environmental laws. He's not a fan of civil liberties programs and laws. He believes that there should be more state executions. Doctor-assisted suicides should be illegal according to him. As can be expected, he thinks that religion should be infiltrated more into the public school system. He also believes that Christian teachings should be a basis for our public policy. Dobson believes in the morality of spanking and has gone off the deep end with the notion of stem-cell research, comparing it to concentration camps in Nazi Germany during World War II.

Oh boy, where do I begin? There are some things I noted above that I can understand. I can understand someone being pro-life, someone not believing in doctor-assisted suicides, someone who believes in spankings once in a while (although, I could never spank a child, but, that's just me). I can even understand how a man deeply affiliated with a religion believes that religion should play more of a part in the country's education system. I don't agree with that, but I can understand why a person in his position would believe that. But, some of his other beliefs seem to be at the deep end, so deep, that they're not visible to any species. Comparing stem-cell research to Nazi camps? Again, I can understand someone not agreeing with stem-cell research, but to compare it to Nazi camps? That's a bit EXTREME. The two beliefs that bother me the most are that of marriage and society being patriarchal and of homosexuality being a disease that can be prevented or cured. His theories for "preventing" it were, well, how do I say it? Nuts. That word about sums it up.

While the majority of women are better natural nurturers than men, there are some women who are not and there are some men that make very good stay-at-home fathers. Also, I don't see why women shouldn't have the opportunity to put their strengths and talents to use outside of the household. Women should have equal rights as men, regardless of the position (even if it's a position of authority). Why should men have the right to be president and not women? Why should men have the right to teach and not women? It sounds like Dobson has a bit of an inferiority complex, fearful of the opposite sex showing him up in one manner or another. Also, what's with that outrageous theory on preventing homosexuality in kids? By the father taking the child for showers with him, so that the child can see the adult male exposed? I'm sorry, but is that sick or is that sick? Yeah, I'm only giving one option here. How long does this go on for? What, does the father say, "Hey son, come take a shower with me, so you can see the adult manhood. I want you to observe to reinforce your masculinity, so that you're not gay."

Can you imagine if Dobson did this with his child for years?

"Come here son, let's take a shower together. I have to make sure you're not gay."

"But dad, I'm 15!"

Yeah, sick! His theory sounds even more sick than Freud's theories regarding the Oedipus and Electra complexes. It sounds like Dobson's created a complex and will probably infuse his poor son with a complex after being forced to take showers with his dad. I think Dobson's still living back in the '50's, except for that sick shower theory. I don't know what planet or era that came from.


Link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dobson

http://www.tylwythteg.com/enemies/dobson.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"