Skip to main content

The Overuse of Pronouns


Some people like to speak in clichés. Others like to speak in metaphors. Certain special people even like to speak in tongues. All of these forms of communicating language to another person are either annoying or frightening on a certain level. That brings me to another type of annoyance with regard to language and that's people who speak in pronouns.

It's perfectly alright to begin a story with a person's name, we'll say, Chuck Willard-Foolhardy, and then refer to this individual as "he" in the succeeding sentences, so long as no other character is identified. However, if a new character makes his or her presence known in a story, we can't go back to that pronoun, especially if the other character is also male. If we were to refer to one of them as "he," we may not know which one is being talked about.

This brings me to a couple people I know, one in particular, whom basically speaks in pronouns. He or She (this information has yet to be determined) will bring up a person's name, Buck Dolittle, at 1:42 pm EST and at 6:49 pm EST, he/she will say something like, "Yeah and he went bungee jumping from the rim of a basketball hoop."

I'll look confused and of course ask the rational question, "Who?"

This person will then say, "Buck Dolittle, of course," like I'm supposed to know that.

There is almost always a fairly long gap between the original specific reference and the pronoun(s). This becomes confusing, because many other topics and people will have been discussed between these two points in time. Also, when multiple people or things are discussed and the words "he," "she" or "it" are used on multiple occasions, representing different nouns, this makes it all the more perplexing for listeners. Here is an example:

Tanisha (at 2:01 pm EST on Jan. 13th, 1994): "So, remember that freezer I saw on sale? Do you think we can purchase that?"

Geraldo: "Let me think about it, honey. We're on a very tight budget right now, with all the bookies we have to pay off for all the miniature golf tournament bets we made."


Tanisha (at 3:19 pm EST on the same day): "Gosh, that air freshener is great. It reminds me of weed."

Geraldo: "I know. Are you hungry, sweetie?"


Tanisha (at 4:20 pm EST on 1/13/94): "Look at that baseball. Why is it yellow?"

Geraldo: "That's a tennis ball."


Tanisha (at 7:32 pm on the same day): "So, yeah, it's great, isn't it? It's really great!"

Geraldo: "What's great?"

Tansiha: "That air freshener, of course. What else would I be talking about?"

Geraldo: "Eh... I don't know. I was hoping you were referring to something else. ::as he looks down toward his nether region::"

...and so it goes. It can be a trying time following along with a regular conversation, but attempting to follow along with someone whom speaks in pronouns for a full day comprised of several references to different people, items and events, that is an entirely different beast. If one has to listen to these pronouns on a regular basis for an extended period of time, they will need to load up on Excedrin, ear plugs, illegal substances and a trip to the loony bin, a psychiatrist or a singles' cruise. HE would really need IT, wouldn't HE? Indeed he would, whoever this he is. I'm not sure we'll ever know.

Comments

  1. My girlfriend frequently overuses pronouns and it drives me nuts! I'm always having to follow up her statements with questions as to what or who she is talking about. It really feels like a lazy form of communication on her part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what you mean. Then when we ask such questions, we'll get the "You never listen!" line in response, which is lovely.

      The whole process reminds me of a hybrid between the old Faith No More song, "Epic," and an Abbott and Costello routine:

      Person A: "It's it!"

      Person B: "What is it?"

      A: "It's it!"

      B: "What is it?"

      ...and yes, this can go on for quite a while... lol.

      Delete
  2. thanks for writing this (meaning the blast on pronoun overusage :-) Q is... how to gently get my friend to use nouns. I find pronoun overuse exhausting, annoying, and yes, lazy-ass also. Especially since my friend's conversations can go on tangents and then loop back without warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha. Yeah, best of luck with that! Well, with regard to the person who influenced this blog, whenever she started going on one of those pronoun-heavy tangents, I'd find myself simply interjecting and asking, "Wait... What is 'it' in this case?" or "Who are you talking about? All I'm hearing is he/she," and while she hasn't improved by drastic measures, she has improved somewhat. She'll even catch herself mid-tangent now and say, "Oh yeah, there I go with the pronouns again." So, it can be done, but I'm not sure I've found the perfect recipe for it yet. Best of luck with that, thought! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"