Skip to main content

The Ex-Is-With-Douche Complex

So, has an ex of yours started dating again? Have you met him or her? Do you know much about them outside of what you've heard from your friends? What do you conclude about the guy or gal? According to a non-scientific study conducted inside my noggin, there's a 71.2% chance that you concluded, "They're a douche."

Now, it's perfectly understandable to not be an immediate fan of a person whom is dating your ex, especially if you and this ex of yours dated for an extended period of time and got pretty serious. It's also quite understandable if your ex started dating again very soon after the break-up and he/she hasn't given you much time to get over the demise of the relationship. However, if you and this ex of yours have been far removed from the relationship you once shared with one another, then what's the problem?

I have exes just like the next person and while it'd hurt quite a bit if I found out one of them started dating and getting serious with another guy directly following the break-up, after a certain duration of time, I could really care less about whom they go out with, bring home to mommy and daddy or for whom they spread their legs. We're no longer dating, so that's their decision.

But, I've noticed quite frequently that the philosophy I shared above doesn't hold true for many people. Someone very close to me dated a gal for about four and a half years, off and on. They got pretty close and contemplated marriage at one point. They broke up around four to four and a half years ago. This buddy of mine has since gotten married, having been either dating or married to this women for about two and a half years. His ex just announced that she's getting married in the next year or so. What does this friend of mine have to say about the guy she's marrying? "Yeah, he's a douche."

He'd continue, "He's loaded in money. That's probably why she likes him, but he's a douche. Even all his friends think he's a douche." I believe this friend of mine has met this other guy very briefly on one occasion and has heard such commentary about this fellow's douchiness from friends of his own, whom I'm sure aren't slanting their stories any to appease my friend. So, based on very little research and knowledge, he has adamantly concluded that the man his ex is marrying is a douche.

This sign of bitterness, jealousy and hostility makes me want to ask one question, "Are you sure you're over her yet?" Because, why would he or someone else in his position care whom his ex marries? He's married now, has been with someone for two and a half years, comments on how she's everything his ex wasn't (that makes me wonder as well...), etc. So, why's it really matter? Who cares that she's getting married? Doesn't he want to see her happy. Break-ups almost never end well, but I don't wish any ill upon my exes. Obviously things didn't work out between they and myself, but hey, that happens. I hope they find someone they can be happy with for the long-term.

All this makes me wonder just how ubiquitous this is and if it can be applied to almost everyone on at least one occasion. I wonder if an ex of mine hears that I'm dating or engaged to someone, if they find out from an unreliable source, "Yeah, I heard she's a douche."

So, yeah, if that rings true, I guess I can only conclude one thing: Each and every one of us is a douche to at least one person. I don't know about you, but that makes me feel warm and toasty inside. This is a fellow douche signing out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"