Skip to main content

Swimming in Shallow Water, Aren’t We?

Over the holidays, my brother and sister-in-law flew into town to spend a few days with the family. At a pub in the afternoon, we sat down to eat and were approached with a question from my brother, as he asked, "Do you think God has a reason for making people ugly?"

I responded with, "Well, it's all rather subjective, don't you think?"

He fired back with, "Yeah, I guess so. But, I mean, people that most everyone would consider ugly, do you think God has a reason for making them so?"

I kind of stared in disbelief and said, "Well, you point to any one person you may find unattractive and while the vast majority may agree with you, I can guarantee you that someone will find them appealing."

My mother talked about Fred Astaire and how he wasn't kind to the eyes, but was extremely talented and his talent is what made him attractive.

I talked about Larry Bird and Kid Rock and how I know women who find them good looking and he responded with, "Well, that's because they're famous."

I kind of rolled my eyes and decided not to discuss the matter any further, but it got me to thinking, why are some people so obsessed with appearance? How shallow are we as a people?

Now, I, for one, am not a big believer in a higher power many refer to as God, but suppose for a moment that he/she/it does exist and let's presume he/she/it is benevolent, omniscient and omnipotent, as many believers suggest, what purpose would there be for him/her/it to intentionally create individuals whom are not appealing to the majority? What lessons would be learned from that? Also, if there is this higher power and the sacred books are accurate, what difference does one's physical appearance make in this life, as it would be irrelevant in the next? It befuddles me when extremely religious individuals are so hung up on appearance, that they resort to these shallow observations and judgments on people they don't know. To say that's hypocritical would be like saying Rush Limbaugh believes in pain pills.

I think what irked me the most about the question and the discussion was the fact my brother and so many other people, for that matter, think of the concept known as beauty as something that can instantly be seen with one's eyes, a first-impression of external beauty. But, how can one be so simplistic with their perception of beauty? Like I said initially, isn't beauty rather subjective? Just because the majority see a person as attractive, that does not mean everyone agrees on the matter. My brother brought up his theory that women find Kid Rock and Larry Bird attractive, because they're famous, but what about the reverse angle? If people find celebrities attractive, why then do many people not find celebrities attractive, even those that make the top 40 sexiest males/females' lists? I know some men whom don't find Angelina Jolie attractive and know some women (yes, I'm talking about heterosexuals here) whom don't think Brad Pitt is very good looking. So, I see that "They're-famous-so-people-find-they-attractive" theory to be rather moot.

What I think my brother and many others miss is that beauty is a complex creature, which can be seen from many different perspectives and which can be interpreted an infinite number of ways. Just like no two people may see a certain painting or read a particular poem in the same light, no two people will have the same idea of what constitutes a person as beautiful.

As I mentioned, it seems that many see beauty as that which can immediately be seen with the eyes. I agree, this is a type of beauty, but not the only and not the most genuine. It's a very artificial beauty. I mean, how do we consistently measure it, since we all have different sets of eyes and thoughts? Do we grade based on how the person looks when first waking in the morning? If they possess a natural beauty? Do we grade them before, during and after getting ready and applying make-up and such? Do we grade them before, during or after procedures such as liposuction, plastic surgery and botox? With all that humans do to cover their actual appearance, how then are we to judge based on what we initially see with our eyes, when what we see initially may be a far cry from what we see when waking in the morning?

It's human nature to find people attractive or perhaps unattractive, but there's no universality on physical attraction. We all have different tastes and it isn't a black-and-white issue. There are many shades of gray. But, while our eyes and other areas may be pleased when first seeing a person, or the artificial person they present themselves as, we won't have a genuine picture of their overall beauty until we speak to and get to know them. I can't count how many times I've seen someone whom I found to be attractive initially, but once they opened their mouth, that attraction faded faster than the New York Giants a few months ago against the Philadelphia Eagles. There have also been times when I may not have found a person physically appealing at first, but over time, through getting to know them, I have found them to be beautiful.

The thing is there are different types of beauty, different avenues to which we find a person attractive. Kid Rock isn't found to be attractive because of his being famous. His music connects with some people. Fred Astaire was a great dancer. A person's talent, their communicating and relating to people, can often times be appealing to many.

There's someone right now that I find to be extremely beautiful, but this isn't because of her appearance. I find her to be physically appealing, sure, but the reason for her being so attractive to me is because I actually know and care about her. If I didn't, she wouldn't be nearly as beautiful to me. Beauty is a complex, subjective and multi-layered concept and I wish more people would be able to see it as such, before rushing to judgments on people they know absolutely nothing about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"