Skip to main content

Casey Anthony Mania

As with a lot of things in life, when it comes to the Casey Anthony verdict, I'm kind of in the gray (grey) area. I saw a poll taken shortly after the verdict was announced and about 49% of people thought she was guilty, while 51% thought she was either not guilty or that she was guilty of a lesser crime than murder.

I think I fall into that third group right there, from a legal standpoint. A lot of people went the common sense route and stated that she had to have been part of the murder since she didn't report that her daughter was missing for 30 days. I too agree that that's a little (very...) messed up, but common sense, unfortunately, doesn't equal hard evidence.

I do wonder why Ms. Anthony wasn't found guilty on the charge of aggravated child abuse. That decision puzzled me some. However, when it came to the charge of murder, I don't believe there was enough hard evidence to convict her. Do I think she was likely guilty? Probably. I also have suspicions about her ex-husband and even the grandparents. But, unfortunately, since the child's body wasn't found quickly, there wasn't any way for the police to contract DNA sampling or any other bits of evidence which could have led to the responsible party (or parties) for the child's death.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that I think it's pretty ridiculous to compare this trial and verdict to O.J. Simpson's. The only things these two cases had in common were: 1) They were highly publicized, 2) Involved murder and 3) Both were found not guilty. That's it. If we want to look at things from a black-and-white perspective, then sure, I suppose we could say the two cases were similar, but I think we'd just be kidding ourselves in the process.

There was evidence showcasing that O.J. Simpson was guilty of murder. However, some of this evidence was not permissable due to a couple slip-ups by those investigating the crime. In Casey Anthony's case, there wasn't that hard evidence which was presented. If one were to look back at the details of both cases, they'd see there were minimal similarities between the two. Every attorney I heard speak on television laughed at the notion that the two cases were much alike.

In any case, like O.J. following his not guilty verdict, Casey Anthony's life is not going to be an easy one from this point forward. Whether she was found guilty or not, the public was going to look at her in a certain manner which would signify a tough road ahead for her. If she was at all guilty in the death of her daughter, I'm glad this will be the case. If she wasn't guilty, it would truly be a shame for her to have to endure so much for the rest of her days, but it's difficult for me to believe, even without the hard evidence, that she didn't play some part in the child's death. Like I said, common sense tells me she was involved. Unfortunately, common sense doesn't stand up in court. Evidence does and there was a minimal amount of that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"