Skip to main content

MySpace, YourSpace, We All Love MySpace (A Little Bit Too Much) (I wrote this a while ago...kind of funny now)

I admit, I'm a bit out-of-touch with the latest technologies. I'm an '80s boy. When I was growing up, I still played Atari at my friend's house. It was a time when they taught us how to play "The Oregon Trail" on the computer and that was the coolest thing in the world. The closest thing we had to cell phones were walkie talkies.

While I'm extremely liberal and open-minded regarding most political issues, I'm a bit simple when it comes to technological advances. I don't dismiss them. I don't go on rants claiming that they're tools of the devil. I just feel no true desire to update my cell phone to where there are different rings for different callers. I feel no need to get an MP3 player, because, well, I have all my CD's right here with me and can listen to them at any time. I'm not even too pumped up about the Playstation 3. Games are getting to be a little too realistic as it is. I like there to be a balance in video games between realism and cartoon-like qualities. Do I have a cell phone? Yes. What do I use it for? To call people when I'm out and about, make plans, forewarn someone that I will be early or late, or use up the free minutes late at night long-distance. Do I need it for anything else? Really? Not in my mind. It's like my car. Could I spiff it up some? Sure. Could I sell it and get a new car? Yeah, I suppose. But, what is the job of my car? To get me from point A to point B with little to no problems. If it does that job consistently, then I will be a happy guy. If I were going to set a record by driving all around the world (hard to do with those little things called, oh yeah, oceans), then perhaps I'd want to spiff it up some, but when will I be doing that? When will it be possible to do that? Never. So, again, I really see no point in doing those types of things. I appreciate most technology, but I won't get carried away with it.

That brings me to MySpace. Heard of it? Are you a member like who knows how many millions of people? (that may be in the thousands now...but, I'll need clarification on that) Yeah, me too (not anymore). Are there parts of MySpace that I find (found) cool? Yeah, that's why I joined. It's amazing how many old buddies you can find on that thing and catch up with one another. But, when I see some pages, it amazes me how much time they'd have to spend on it. What's it matter? Really? What do (did) I use MySpace for? To keep in touch with some people. Therefore, I find (found) no need to impress anyone with my page, by putting up loads of pictures of who knows what all, having musical scores, videos, tests, profile fill-outs, pretty backgrounds, etc. Call me old-fashioned. Call me dull. I really don't care. When it comes to the MySpaces of the world, cars, cell phones, MP3 players and whatever else is floating around out there, I just don't see much point in putting on a show for people I don't know at all or ones I already do know. Have a car? Check. Have a CD player? Check. Have a cell phone? Check. Member of MySpace? Check again (uncheck). So, therefore, I can get from point A to point B, while cranking up whatever songs I feel like listening to, can talk on my cell phone and check my mail on MySpace (Facebook) when I get home. I will have done this without spiffing anything up or spending any more money than I had to. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"