Skip to main content

A silly age debate

Wanna hear a silly argument? Look no further than yours truly and my girlfriend. Granted, I think this seemingly never-ending debate is/has been conducted in a joking kind of manner. In any case, the more I think about it, the sillier it appears to me. It also reminds me of a similar debate my parents have engaged in for years and in a similar kind of tone.

While I was born on February 28th of 1981, my girlfriend was born on March 19th of 1980. It is my belief that she was, is, and always will be older than I am - by about 11 months. It is my girlfriend's claim that between February 28th and March 18th of every year, we're the same age, yet she's older between March 19th and February 27th. Why is this? Because I'm measuring age with specifics and she's just using years to do so. This is reminiscent of my mother and father. While my mother was born on December 24th of 1954, my father was born on March 29th of 1952. Every December 24th, my father claims that the two of them are only two years apart, before my mother asks when he was born, and then says, "You see? You're almost 3 years older than I am."

My father and girlfriend's argument is, "When someone asks how old you are, what do you say? 32, right? Just the years. So, before I turned 33, we were the same age."

They can keep trying, but the facts are not on their side, unfortunately for them. When someone asks us almost anything about ourselves, how do we respond? With an approximation. When someone asks how tall I am, I respond with, "5'9''ish." Just because another person responds similarly doesn't mean we're exactly the same height. We wouldn't know this bit of information until we were both measured while barefoot and standing straight. The same goes for weight. While I can tell a person I weigh 155ish (lbs.) or so and they may respond with a similar number, we're not going to be able to accurately compare the numbers until we weigh ourselves on the same scale in our birthday suits (with minimal observers hopefully). Lastly, just because two people have the same number of years attached to them doesn't make them exactly the same age. We'd have to look at the two individuals' driver's licenses or birth certificates to find out for certain who is the older of the two. After doing this, however, it'll be mathematically difficult (impossible) for the older of the two parties to convince the younger that he or she is the same age as them during part of the year.

In math equations where we compare two sets of numbers by stating that one is greater than, less than, or equal to another, do we just round numbers to where they're equal, even when they're not? I don't think so.

On that note, when I turned 32, my girlfriend was approximately 32.92, and last I checked, 32.00 < 32.92. When my mother turns 59 this year, my father will be approximately 61.75, which is definitely closer to a 3-year than a 2-year difference.

Okay, class dismissed...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"