Skip to main content

Georgia Representative Phil Gingrey backtracks on supporting Todd Akin's "legitimate rape" comments in his potential run for the Senate

Republican Georgia Representative Phil Gingrey is thinking about making a Senate run, so you know what that means? It's time to backtrack on some words which could hurt him at the polls if he does indeed decide to run for the Senate.

Remember Todd Akin? The guy who ran for a Missouri Senate seat, but lost largely due to his "legitimate rape" comments? Well, just two months ago, Representative Gingrey had this to say on the matter:

"...And in Missouri, Todd Akin ... was asked by a local news source about rape and he said, 'Look, in a legitimate rape situation' - and what he meant by legitimate rape was just look, someone can say I was raped: a scared-to-death 15-year-old that becomes impregnated by her boyfriend and then has to tell her parents, that's pretty tough and might on some occasion say, 'Hey, I was raped.' That's what he meant when he said legitimate rape versus non-legitimate rape. I don't find anything so horrible about that. But then he went on and said that in a situation of rape, of a legitimate rape, a woman's body has a way of shutting down so the pregnancy would not occur. He's partly right on that.

And I've delivered lots of babies, and I know about these things. It is true. We tell infertile couples all the time that are having trouble conceiving because of the woman not ovulating, 'Just relax. Drink a glass of wine. And don't be so tense and uptight because all that adrenaline can cause you not to ovulate.' So he was partially right wasn't he? But the fact that a woman may have already ovulated 12 hours before she is raped, you're not going to prevent a pregnancy there by a woman's body shutting anything down because the horse has already left the barn, so to speak. And yet the media took that and tore it apart."

This quote was released just two months ago, and yes, strangely and sadly enough, Gingrey has been an OB-GYN since 1975.

So, what has the potential Senate-wannabe said just two months later with regard to the matter? Oh, just this:

"I made a very awkward attempt to explain the unexplainable. Obviously I wasn't on my best game. Rape is rape. If it's rape, it's legitimate. I certainly regret very much weighing in on that issue, which was something that was already pretty much roundly condemned and criticized. I felt so badly about it, because my profession is treating women. We went over articles and more recent journals. Whereas Todd said the panic would cause a body to shut down and prevent ovulation, more recent data suggests just the opposite is probably true. So you learn."

Really? The guy has been an OB-GYN since 1975 - so for the past 38 plus years - and not until between years 38 and 39 did he finally learn that a woman's panic would not cause her body to "shut down" and prevent ovulation? Due to some "recent" article and journals? So 38 years of articles and journals which prompted him to agree with Akin two months ago were overridden by "recent" articles and journals? Either this guy is an idiot or thinks we're a bunch of idiots. I suppose a third option is that he is an idiot who thinks we're a bunch of idiots.

While the Senate-wannabe is at it, I predict he'll also correct himself on the following in the run-up to the election:

- "After going over some recent articles and journals, I've come to realize the world as we know it is not flat. It's actually round."

- "After going over some recent articles and journals, it's come to my attention that 10 + 10 ≠ 12. It equals 20."

- "After going over some recent articles and journals, I'll finally admit that I was wrong that knives, hammers, and fists are not examples of gun violence. Guns are typically the culprits in such acts."

- "After going over some recent articles and journals, I'd like to take back my statement where I suggested that the capital city of New York was Chicago. That's actually not correct. The capital city of that great state is Albany."

- "After going over some recent articles and journals, I realize I've said some remarkably stupid things during my time in office, and I sincerely hope by taking back all of those ridiculous remarks in the run-up to the election, you will all forgive, forget, and vote me in as your Senator."

http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story/21376912/article-Gingrey-says-he%E2%80%99s-open-to-certain-gun-control-measures?instance=home_lead_story

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/political-insider/2013/mar/11/phil-gingrey-changes-course-gun-clips-and-legitima/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"