Skip to main content

Trainers take note: Extreme dieting and exercise is not the way to go

Not long after I moved to Columbus, Ohio from Omaha, Nebraska in the late-winter of 2008, I decided to finally make some changes in my life to improve both my health and appearance, and with that, my confidence. I didn't go to any gyms or hire any trainers. I simply made some common sense changes, like going from soda pop and Gatorade to water, and from fried food (meat) to grilled, and working out more. Just with the water change alone, I lost approximately 5 lbs. my first week. Without even working out a great deal, I lost a good 25 lbs. just with the alterations in eating and drinking habits. Following my health struggles for two years, I put things in overdrive as far as exercise was concerned and lost another 25 lbs. (I had gained about 5 lbs. in those two years where I was ill). I eventually learned that so long as I didn't regress to my awful habits of old, eating and drinking certain things was alright, so long as it was done in moderation.

Well, my girlfriend has decided to join a gym and even spend a little extra for a "meal plan," to help achieve her goal weight within the next 6 months. She's been going for just the past two weeks and at this point last week, sounded quite excited in telling me she had already lost 3 lbs. Her eating and drinking habits closely mirrored my own from a few years ago, before I made those changes I mentioned above. Unlike me, who just decided to quit the bad habits cold turkey one day, she's taking more of the baby-step approach. I personally think that's probably the better route. However, as she learned yesterday, it's not good enough for her trainer. Her trainer criticized everything my girlfriend told her - from the improved, but not perfect (whose are, really?) eating habits to the improved drinking habits and beyond. I guess the trainer said, "If you stuck by the meal plan, you would have lost 6 lbs. already." There also wasn't a great deal of encouragement coming from her end either. This led to my girlfriend feeling quite discouraged and wanting to just go out and grab a burger for comfort food.

While I can understand trainers trying to push people more to reach their goals and more quickly, I think this extreme-dieting-and-exercise-all-criticism-no-encouragement jargon isn't the way to go. Here, my girlfriend was feeling some sense of accomplishment. She noticed some positive changes in herself - both from a physical standpoint and a mental standpoint. She felt more energized, slept better, ate at earlier times, ate and drank better, felt better about herself, etc. I too noticed these positive changes upon talking to her and seeing her this past weekend. I made sure to mention these positive changes I observed, because having gone through this process myself, I know how big of a boost that can provide a person - in then knowing they're doing something right. The all-criticism-no-encouragement routine isn't a very effective one for a lot of people. When someone receives nothing but criticism, it's common for them to raise up their hands, think, "I can't do anything right," feel discouraged, and give up as a result. I've found that it's a much more effective tactic to, if one feels the need to criticize another, to make certain they offer some words of encouragement as well. Instead of saying, "You're doing everything wrong," I find it's much more effective to say, "You're definitely on the right track, but I really think we can still improve in this (X) area." This makes the person feel as if they're not wasting their time, energy, and effort, that they're doing something right, yet with the subtle bit of criticism intertwined with that to try and push them a bit further.

I also don't understand the need to fully deprive someone of all they like to eat and drink. Like I said previously, it's about doing things in moderation. The only time I drink soda anymore is once over the weekend if and when I decide to have a cocktail that includes Coca-Cola (Coke Zero often times). The other 6+ days, I don't even think about drinking soda. I may have fast food every now and again, but not most every day like in years past. I may consume such food once a month now. I may enjoy a snack between lunch and dinner once a week. This trainer made it seem as though my girlfriend couldn't enjoy any food she liked from this point forward. I too think that's a mistake, because when one is deprived of all that they enjoy eating and drinking, once they reach their goal weight, they're more apt to going back to the bad habits of old and overcompensating due to that long-term deprivation. This can often times lead to the person not only gaining the weight they lost, but packing on even more pounds to that earlier total.

So, I sincerely hope this trainer doesn't get into my girlfriend's head, to the point where she feels discouraged and gives up, and hope that many others out there don't fall into a similar trap. If, like my girlfriend saw and felt, you see and feel some positive changes in yourself and hear similar observations made by others, just know you're definitely doing something right and to keep up the good work. Don't let an overly-strict-and-critical trainer discourage you any. You know your body better than anyone else and if you start feeling better about it and yourself as a whole, then you're definitely on the right track.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"