Skip to main content

Healthcare denial - "I don't want to pay for others' health insurance under Obamacare!" Newsflash - You already are...

One anti-Obamacare talking point which has perplexed me somewhat is when people tell me, "I don't want to pay for other people's healthcare! I pay for my own! They should pay for theirs!"

I'm thinking these individuals have seen one too many bumper stickers and listened to Rush Limbaugh for one minute too many (one minute by itself may be too many). While I'm not fully on-board with Obamacare, I do think it's likely a step in the right direction. It's far too early to tell what the net effect of it will be on this country, but I think in the end, it will have a positive one overall. The most controversial aspect of the bill is the mandate, which requires every person to acquire health insurance by the due date or else pay a fine. While it's probably quite discomforting for many to feel, accurately or not, that a right of theirs has been stripped from them by the federal government through this mandate, it is quite essential for the reform to be successful.

The hope is that a very solid majority will buy into this new system, which will greatly reduce the number of those whom are uninsured, prompt more people to pay for their own insurance, and through this, see premiums decrease. If this all works out according to plan, wouldn't it become progressively more likely for people to pay for their own insurance than to have to pay for others as well as their own?

"I don't want to pay for others' health insurance through Obamacare!" Newsflash - you already are. In a study conducted by Families USA, it was found that $42.7 billion (37%) of healthcare costs for the uninsured went unpaid in 2008. This resulted in the average U.S. family having to pay an extra $1,017 in healthcare premiums that year.

Ron Pollack, the group's executive director had this to say about the study's findings:

"I don't think anybody has any idea about how much they are paying because of the need to cover the health care costs of the uninsured. This is a hidden tax on all insurance premiums, whether is is paid by business for their work or by families when they purchase their own coverage."

Hopefully, in due time, Obamacare, in reducing the number of those whom are uninsured, will help reduce these premium costs as well.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/insurance/2009-05-28-hiddentax_N.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"