Skip to main content

Week 2 NFL Predictions

Thursday
Game: Denver at Kansas City

Prediction: Kansas City - While I think it's too early for analysts to lay claim that Peyton Manning has officially lost it, I am more worried about Denver's offense than defense. Baltimore's defense isn't exactly porous, though, so let's not let one opening week performance against the Ravens defense define Manning's season. While there are most certainly question marks on the offensive side of the ball for the Broncos, though, I like what I saw on both sides of the ball from the Chiefs this past weekend. With the game at home, at the always crazy Arrowhead Stadium, I give the slight edge to KC in this one. I'll take the Chiefs by a field goal.

Result: Denver 31 Kansas City 24

Record: 0-1


Sunday
Game: Houston at Carolina

Prediction: Houston - Houston's still uncertain who their quarterback is going to be, meanwhile Carolina has been battered by injuries, losing Cam Newton's main receiving threat Kelvin Benjamin in the pre-season and middle linebacker tackling machine Luke Kuechly to a concussion in Week 1. Without a healthy Kuechly, I don't think it'll make much difference whether Brian Hoyer or Ryan Mallett starts at quarterback for the Texans in this one. I'll take Houston on the road by 4.

Result: Carolina 24 Houston 17

Record: 0-2


Game: San Francisco at Pittsburgh

Prediction: Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh moved the ball with seeming ease against the New England Patriots in Week 1, yet they failed to make the most of their opportunities and lost as a result. They should be able to bounce back at home against the beleaguered San Francisco 49ers, though. I'll go with the Steelers by a couple of touchdowns.

Result: Pittsburgh 43 San Francisco 18

Record: 1-2


Game: Tampa Bay at New Orleans

Prediction: New Orleans - It was a rough debut for #1 pick Jameis Winston on Sunday. He should play better in this game against the Saints, but not well enough to beat New Orleans on the road. The Saints' offense isn't what it was a few years ago, but still good enough to score a few points against the Bucs' D. I'll take the Saints by 13.

Result: Tampa Bay 26 New Orleans 19

Record: 1-3


Game: Detroit at Minnesota

Prediction: Detroit - Before last night, I was leaning toward Minnesota in this one. However, after watching the Vikings put up just 3 points in their 20-3 loss to the depleted San Francisco 49ers, I've decided to change my pick. So long as Matthew Stafford doesn't decide to become Mr. Pick-Six like Matt Schaub did a couple years ago for the Houston Texans, I think the Lions should win this one by at least 4.

Result: Minnesota 26 Detroit 16

Record: 1-4


Game: Arizona at Chicago

Prediction: Arizona - Chicago had a great gameplan against the Green Bay Packers this past weekend, yet still found a way to lose (largely aided by a late red zone interception thrown by Jay Cutler). Arizona did what they've been doing since Bruce Arians took over as coach, which is won. I trust the mind of Arians much more than the arm of Jay Cutler. I'll take the Cardinals by 6.

Result: Arizona 48 Chicago 23

Record: 2-4


Game: New England at Buffalo

Prediction: Buffalo - I was highly skeptical of the Bills' offense after hearing that Rex Ryan would be taking over the coaching duties. He's kind of had a knack for ruining quarterbacks, and with that, offenses. However, unlike in years past, Ryan actually has some solid skill position players to work with, not to mention Tyrod Taylor played beyond expectations in his debut for the Bills. With his dual-threat presence, I look for he and the Bills' offense to give the Pats some problems, and for the Bills' loaded defense to limit Tom Brady enough to come out with the hard-fought victory. I'm going with Buffalo by 3.

Result: New England 40 Buffalo 32

Record: 2-5


Game: San Diego at Cincinnati

Prediction: Cincinnati - The teams appear to be fairly evenly matched on paper, so I'll give the home team Bengals the slight advantage. I'll take Cincinnati by 4.

Result: Cincinnati 24 San Diego 19

Record: 3-5


Game: Tennessee at Cleveland

Prediction: Tennessee - Oh, let's see here... Cleveland's not sure who they will be starting at quarterback in this game after Josh McCown went out with a concussion, not to mention they got blown out by the New York Jets 31-10 in Week 1, who were led by back-up quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Tennessee, meanwhile, led by rookie quarterback Marcus Mariota, who had a perfect passer rating in his NFL debut, blew out Tampa Bay 42-14. I think I'll go with the Titans by a touchdown.

Result: Cleveland 28 Tennessee 14

Record: 3-6


Game: Atlanta at NY Giants

Prediction: Atlanta - These two teams are looking for direction. As was displayed on Sunday night, the Giants are still desperately searching. Atlanta, led by new head coach Dan Quinn (former Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator), may have finally found some direction. Their defense looked new and improved against Philadelphia on Monday night. If that continues and they can find anything in the running game offensively, they could contend for an NFC South title (the division champ was 7-9 last year, so who knows?). Given that, I'll go with Dan Quinn and the Falcons. If the Dallas Cowboys' "mediocre" defense (that's being kind) can hold the Giants' offense without a touchdown, I like the defensive genius mind of Dan Quinn to limit the Giants offensively as well. I'll take the Falcons by 4.

Result: Atlanta 24 NY Giants 20

Record: 4-6


Game: St. Louis at Washington

Prediction: St. Louis - Based on the off-season and the first week of the regular season, I look for Washington to (again) be one of the worst teams in the league. Not only were they bad going into Week 1, they lost DeSean Jackson for multiple weeks with a hamstring injury. I'll go with the upstart Rams on the road in this one. I'm going with St. Louis by 10.

Result: Washington 24 St. Louis 10

Record: 4-7


Game: Miami at Jacksonville

Prediction: Miami - To be perfectly honest, I wasn't overly impressed with Miami's 17-10 Week 1 win against lowly Washington. Overpaid Ryan Tannehill didn't showcase why he was paid so much in the off-season. The defense played fairly well, but not up to the pre-season expectations. I even heard multiple ESPN analysts project the Dolphins to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. So, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Jaguars win this one at home. I'm not going to pick that, however. I'll try to maintain some faith in the Dolphins as they beat the Jaguars on the road by 6.

Result: Jacksonville 23 Miami 20

Record: 4-8


Game: Baltimore at Oakland

Prediction: Baltimore - Remember when some ESPN analysts said the Oakland Raiders would be highly improved this year? Some even calling for them to finish an even 8-8? After being pummeled 33-13 (it wasn't even that close) by Cincinnati in their first game, I'm having a hard time seeing the Raiders finish 8-8. Baltimore lost a tough, defensive slugfest against Denver in Week 1, but appear to be, by far, the superior of the two teams. I'll take the Ravens on the road by a couple of touchdowns.

Result: Oakland 37 Baltimore 33

Record: 4-9


Game: Dallas at Philadelphia

Prediction: Philadelphia - How do you go -3 in turnovers and win a game in the NFL? You'll have to ask the Dallas Cowboys, as that's exactly what they did in their miracle (lucky) 27-26 win against the New York Giants on Sunday night. Don't expect any such gifts from NFC East division rival Philadelphia this week. Dez Bryant will be out for the Cowboys. Former Cowboy DeMarco Murray will want to show his former team what they traded. With the game in Philly, I look for the Eagles to win this one by a touchdown.

Result: Dallas 20 Philadelphia 10

Record: 4-10


Game: Seattle at Green Bay

Prediction: Green Bay - If Cam Chancellor gets his contract extended early in the week, I may change my pick. Until that happens, though, I have to like Aaron Rodgers' chances at home against a Chancellor-less defense which allowed 34 points to the St. Louis Rams in Week 1. For the time being, I'll take the Packers by a touchdown.

Result: Green Bay 27 Seattle 17

Record: 5-10


Monday
Game: NY Jets at Indianapolis

Prediction: Indianapolis - The Colts were quite disappointing in their season debut against Buffalo. Look for them to bounce back at home. against the rebuilding Jets. I'll go with the Colts by 10.

Result: NY Jets 20 Indianapolis 7

Record: 5-11


Week 2 Record: 5-11 (.313)

Overall Record: 15-17 (.469)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"