Skip to main content

TV Show Grades

As I've had to go through some health ordeals to start the new year, I've had more free time on my hands to sit down, (try to) relax, and take a peek at several new shows. Here's a brief rundown of what I've been watching and what I think about the shows thus far:

Angie Tribeca (A+): This is my favorite new sitcom. It's the best parody series I've seen since... :: ponders ::... I can't even remember when! If you love The Naked Gun as much as I do, be sure to check out this TBS gem! Rashida Jones is this generation's Frank Drebin, with bangs, and a few other differences. Besides that, they're like twins or something...

Baskets (C): Zach Galifianakis stars as a clown in this FX dramedy. Week to week, I have a difficult time deciding whether I like it and should continue watching or give up on the series. The show is often dark and somewhat interesting, perhaps simply due to its unusual premise, but the chuckles are typically few and far between, and the show's creators appear to be having trouble with identity and direction. While I'm slightly curious to see if they are able to establish a more consistent identity and sense of direction, I won't be too terribly heartbroken if the series is a short-lived one.

The Big Bang Theory (B+): I'd grade previous seasons in the A- to A+ range, but while the current season still contains a decent number of laughs, it's lost a bit of the spark it once had and I think it'd be a mistake to prolong it more than one more season. The series has followed a similar pattern to Friends, where the show has gone from being centered around the main characters' friendships with one another and the odd, often times humorous journeys, they experience together, to the main characters' romantic relationships. In other words, the show has transitioned from a comedy to a romantic dramedy, and while it works at times, it doesn't at others, and it seems as though the writers have reached the we've-run-out-of-ideas-so-let's-just-go-all-out-on-the-characters'-love-lives stage. It's still a good show, but definitely not what it once was.

Black-ish (A-): ABC finally found winner to follow-up the Emmy Award-winning show Modern Family on Wednesday nights. Much like Modern Family, Black-ish is well written, smart, funny, and features great dialogue between the main characters. Like Modern Family, I hope this show stays around for a long time.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (A-): I wasn't a huge Andy Samberg fan when he was on Saturday Night Live, so I was slightly skeptical when first hearing about this show, but I'm happy to say I have been pleasantly surprised by the results. The cast is top notch, the dialogue is fresh, and the laughs are fairly regular. If you've yet to check out this Fox show, I'd recommend giving it a gander on Tuesday nights.

The Carmichael Show (B+): I'm curious to see how long this show lasts. It's funny, different, and even thought-provoking, which makes me appreciate it all the more. However, it also tackles some very serious subjects, even going so far as to broach the topic of Bill Cosby on a recent episode. There are times the dialogue is uncomfortable to watch (hear), yet I'm glad to be hearing multiple perspectives on such issues and in a comical fashion. Jerrod Carmichael is an up-and-coming comedian, with interesting insights, and I hope this show is given a chance both short- and long-term.

The Daily Show (B+): I've been a fan of this show for as long as I can remember. I enjoyed it during the Craig Kilborn years, became obsessed with it when Jon Stewart took over the reigns, and continue to be a fan of it today with Trevor Noah as the host. Even though I continue to regularly watch the show, I believe it has taken a step back post-Stewart, but am curious to see where it goes from here. Noah should be provided more time to find his footing. His opening bits haven't disappointed (for the most part), but he needs to improve with his interviews, with politicians in particular, and needs to decide whether he wants to mainly be silly in the vain of Kilborn or to mix the silly with the serious as Jon Stewart did so well. Until he and the writers figure that out, the show will likely continue to be inconsistent, and leave something to be desired.

Full Frontal (A-): With Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert leaving the world of late-night satire, Samantha Bee has taken over as the king (well, queen) of it. If you were a fan of Stewart and Colbert on The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, be sure to check out Samantha Bee on Full Frontal Monday nights on TBS. The only downside of this show is the fact it currently airs just one night a week. Hopefully that changes in the near future...

Fresh Off the Boat (B): This is an enjoyable show for the most part, which has featured continually improved writing. At the same time, however, character development has been lacking, which has prevented this show from growing as much as some others. Until the characters start becoming more likable, the show will have difficulty going from good to great status

The Grinder (A): The Grinder, starring Rob Lowe and Fred Savage, is a cleverly written show, with plenty of laughs, chemistry, and fresh dialogue along the way, which I fear won't last past this season. I hope I'm wrong and would be incredibly curious to see where the writers take the show if given the chance to do so, but am not terribly optimistic about that. If you've yet to check out this show, I'd highly recommend at least giving it a gander. The Grinder airs on Tuesday nights on Fox at 9:30 pm EST.

The Late Show (A+): What can I say? I'm a huge fan of Stephen Colbert. The man could go into something called operatic miming and I'd probably find it golden. The man can sing, act, prompt laughter through both silly and serious approaches, and places a fresh new twist on late-night comedy. Yes, late-night comedy can be smart! Who knew?!?

Life in Pieces (B+): Like with The Grinder, I'm fearful this show won't last past this season, but hope it does so. Early this season, I would have graded the show a "B-," upgraded it to a "B" midseason, and have upgraded it again to a "B+" toward the end of the season. In other words, the show has continually improved over the course of the season and it'd be a shame to not see if that trend continues next season. The cast is top-notch, as is the chemistry and dialogue. The show might have been lacking in laughs in the early shows, but have become increasingly more regular of late. If you're curious, you can check it out on Thursday nights on CBS at 8:30 pm EST.

Man Seeking Woman (B+): No, the show's title may not catch one's attention and may leave one thinking it's a clichèd romantic comedy, but that couldn't be further from the truth. While the title might be accurate in suggesting the show revolves around a man seeking a woman, it's anything but accurate in suggesting this is depicted in the typical manner we're used to seeing. The show's are a trip (yes, sometimes literally), often times leaving me wondering if the episode was a crazy dream inside the mind of one of the main characters. It's like a hybrid of Judd Apatow and Terry Gilliam.

Modern Family (A): Do I really need to say anything here? This show continually wins Emmy's for a reason...

The Nightly Show (B-): This is an interesting show, which provides me a perspective I'm not used to hearing on late-night comedy and I appreciate, however, it tends to lack the humor and bite that was present in The Colbert Report. Larry Wilmore does a decent job as the host, but has found it difficult to successfully balance seriousness and humor like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert did. The contributors' segments tend to be hit or miss, which has also been the case with the roundtable discussions. Given the host and writers' seeming intentions, I have a hunch this would work much better in a weekly hour-long format, and due to that not being the case, am curious what adjustments will be made going forward, if any, and whether or not the show will last much longer.

The People v O.J. Simpson (A+): Regardless of your opinion on the O.J. Simpson murder case/verdict, I'd highly recommend checking this show out. It airs on Tuesday nights at 10 pm EST on FX. Five minutes into the show and I was hooked! It's that good!

The Real O'Neals (C): The series just started 3-4 weeks ago, so I don't think it'd be fair for me to provide a non-flexible grade at this point. In saying that, however, through three episodes, I have incredibly mixed feelings about this new series. There have been some chuckle-worthy moments and I see some potential, however, to this point anyway, the laughs have been few and far between, the chemistry and dialogue have been hit or miss, and the character development has been disappointing. I'll continue watching this show to see how it develops, but unless I notice some progressions in the coming weeks, I may decide to start watching something else.

Superstore (B-): The season ended a few weeks ago, but appears to be primed for renewal. For this show, the first word that comes to mind is potential. It has an excellent cast, the chemistry is typically solid, and the diverse array of characters are usually likable in their own ways. The writing, especially when it comes to jokes, has been a bit inconsistent, however. In saying that, I did notice some improvements on that front toward the latter half of the season and hope that trend continues going into next season. If it can, this show could very well go from pretty good to great.

Teachers (A): This TVLand sitcom is vulgar, satiric, raunchy, and I love it! I've heard some actual teachers complain that this show doesn't accurately depict teachers. That's correct, which is why I find it so hysterical. The humor is so over-the-top, I have a difficult time understanding why anyone would take it seriously. Teachers airs at 10:30 pm EST Wednesday nights on TVLand. Check it out!

Telenovela (C+): The season ended a few weeks ago and its status for renewal is up in the air at this point in time. To me, this show came across as likable, but not necessarily funny, as silly and trying to be clever, but without being clever (for the most part). While I'm partially curious to see where the writers take the series from here (if that happens), I won't be too terribly heartbroken if the series doesn't get renewed for another season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"