Skip to main content

Deep conversation between a Critical Thinking professor and a Tea Partier

I for one don't really like the thought of always being looked after or watched. Whether it be the federal government or a higher power, I can't say I care for the idea that someone can see my every move. Far-right conservatives appear to feel differently on the matter, especially under our current president. While many may feel a sense of relief and protection with the thought that God is watching over us, they feel a sense of fear and paranoia with the thought that President Obama and the federal government is doing something similar. Also, I find it funny that often times these same individuals will talk about God giving us everything we need (and more), but the federal government either doesn't provide any useful services or simply only gives to the neediest among us, whom abuse the system. Keeping all this in mind, I have to imagine a conversation between such a Tea Partier and a Critical Thinking professor would go as follows:

Professor Idonthinkso: "So, what are your thoughts and feelings on the NSA? Of the federal government having the capability of finding out anything about you?"

Jeffrey Uhh: "I don't like it. I don't like it at all! I feel like my privacy has been invaded - like no matter what I do, I'm being watched or followed."

Idonthinkso: "Do you believe in God?"

Uhh: "Of course! What reasonable person doesn't?"

Idonthinkso: "I won't get into that. So do you believe God is omniscient?"

Uhh: "What's that?"

Idonthinkso: "Do you believe God is all-knowing? That he knows everything about every single one of us and can see all daily events as they transpire?"

Uhh: "Yeah, I do"

Idonthinkso: "...and how does that make you feel?"

Uhh: "Good, actually. It makes me feel like someone is watching out for me - to protect me from the evils of this world."

Idonthinkso: "Like terrorism?"

Uhh: "Yeah, exactly!"

Idonthinkso: "Isn't that what the federal government is doing in a way as well? Watching out for us to protect us from the evils of this world, like terrorism?"

Uhh: "Well, yeah, but..."

Idonthinkso: "But what?"

Uhh: "I don't trust Obama, but I do trust God."

Idonthinkso: "...and just why exactly do you trust God?"

Uhh: "Because he created this world, made my life what it is today, and whenever I need him, he's always there for me."

Idonthinkso: "He's always there for you in what form exactly?"

Uhh: "What do you mean?"

Idonthinkso: "Have you ever seen him?"

Uhh: "No"

Idonthinkso: "Have you ever heard him speak to you?"

Uhh: "No"

Idonthinkso: "So, you said he's always been there for you... How so?"

Uhh: "I don't know. I just feel it, I guess."

Idonthinkso: "Alright... So you say that he created this world. What specifically did he create?"

Uhh: "The world - everything"

Idonthinkso: "So, everything we can physically sense in this world is attributable to God?"

Uhh: "Yeah"

Idonthinkso: "And all of us are at least partially dependent on God's creation then?"

Uhh: "Yeah, definitely"

Idonthinkso: "And should people feel ashamed of this in any way?"

Uhh: "No, why should they?"

Idonthinkso: "True. So what do you think about the government? The things they do and the services they provide?"

Uhh: "I don't like them one bit - especially Obama. They punish success, give to the worthless moochers, and force people to be dependent on them."

Idonthinkso: "Do you drive?"

Uhh: "Yeah"

Idonthinkso: "How do you think the roads got there?"

Uhh: "God"

Idonthinkso: "Sorry, but they got there by way of the government. Have you ever attended public school?"

Uhh: "Yeah"

Idonthinkso: "That too was brought to you by the government. Do you ever make use of the postal service or receive aid from police or firefighters?"

Uhh: "Uh-huh"

Idonthinkso: "Once again, these have been provided to you by the government. So, isn't it true that, like you said about God, we're all a little dependent on government?"

Uhh: "I guess"

Idonthinkso: "And should people feel ashamed of this?"

Uhh: "Yeah, they should!"

Idonthinkso: "So, in your mind, while all of us are at least partially dependent on God and the government, we should only feel shame for being dependent on the government?"

Uhh: "Exactly"

Idonthinkso: "And why is this?"

Uhh: "Because I love God and hate Obama!"

Idonthinkso: "Why do you hate Obama so much?"

Uhh: "Because he's trying to make us all dependent on government!"

Idonthinkso: "Just like we're all dependent on God?"

Uhh: "Yes! No! I don't know!"

Idonthinkso: "You sound confused. I think now's a good time to stop for today. It'll give you some time to think things over and then perhaps we can discuss matters further at a later date. Does that sound good?"

Uhh: "Yeah, sure"

Idonthinkso: "So, what do you have planned for the rest of the day?"

Uhh: "I'm going to go home and watch Fox News!"

Idonthinkso: "Oh, for f**k's sake..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"