Skip to main content

Some people should not be bartenders

Ever go to a bar for a bit, observe a bartender, interact with him or her, and walk out wondering why they're a bartender? I've run into this scenario on three occasions. One bartender was just extremely rude and after receiving several complaints, she got fired for that very reason. Another bartender just wasn't very social - he lacked the bartender personality, and even though he tried, the job just didn't seem to suit him well. Unsurprisingly, last I heard, he was doing something completely different with his life.

That brings me to the third bartender - the one I know the best of all three, largely due to the fact I attend this pub about once every 2-3 weeks. While I'll admit that for the most part, the guy does work hard, he simply comes across as the anti-bartender bartender. 

Almost any "expert" in the field of bartending will say the five most important qualities for a great bartender to possess are: Multitasking, communication, organization, flexibility, and attitude.

This person seems to have trouble multitasking, which leads right into communication, of which there is minimal. He doesn't regularly interact with his customers when he's not busy doing something else, let alone when he is. The communication often times isn't warm and welcoming. I've rarely seen the guy smile or laugh. After he's done pouring drinks, he'll often times sit by himself and read the local newspaper until a customer asks for another beverage. The times when he does talk, it's usually late, after he's had a few beers, and revolves around politics. Organization seems to be his strong suit among these five qualities. Flexibility definitely isn't a strength. It's typically either his way or the highway, with a rare exception here and there. Lastly, as I earlier mentioned, his attitude is anything but positive. He comes across as a hybrid of a character from the film Grumpy Old Men and Bill O'Reilly (who could also be referred to as a grumpy old man).

My brother is a bartender, and a long time ago, he told me, "The four things bartenders are never supposed to talk to their customers about are: Politics, religion, sex, and money." 

Like I said, in the off-chance this bartender does talk, it's usually about politics. I've also heard him discuss religion and money. This has led to a number of arguments, fights, customers not coming back for a while (if ever again), and unnecessary drama.

When I walked in last night to watch the second half of the first Monday Night Football game, it was just him behind the bar, and oddly enough, the customers on hand were a direct reflection of him - quiet, unhappy, and angry. It was quite a depressing setting. There wasn't much chatter between the people there. If someone new were to walk in, he or she would probably think they'd just walked into a bar called I Just Broke Up With My Girlfriend , Grumpy Old Men, or Life Sucks. It's safe to say I wasn't there long, but even in the short span of time I was, the guy rose his voice at me over a misunderstanding, came across as condescending, before finally saying, "Sorry for being a d**k. My bad," just before I left. 

The last two reasons I ever go to a bar are to be talked down to by a seemingly anti-social bartender and drama. Whether one is completely sober or drunk, those are major buzz kills. One typically goes to a bar to relax, calm their nerves, and get away from the drama of everyday life - not to be surrounded by more of it. 

Some people have the personalities to be bartenders. They're: Social, charming, funny, flirtatious to an extent, personable, flexible, and make people want to tell their friends about the place and come back. Some people just don't have that and would probably be best served looking for a far different kind of job. People can get ignored and talked down to at work or at home. Why would they ever want to attend a bar with a bartender that treats them in a similar manner?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"