Skip to main content

In the distant future, when Democrats and Republicans form two separate countries...

It seems like with each and every election, Republicans and Democrats grow farther apart. They're slowly appearing to be complete opposites, much like Labradors and Poodles, but I see there being less chance in the two parties having make-up sex to form a Labradoodle than I do the country splitting up into two.

While not every Republican and Democrat will be as I describe, generally speaking, I think the following descriptions will be fairly accurate:

Modern-day Republican: Very religious, anti-science, against abortion, against gay marriage, against government programs to help the needy, very supportive of gun rights, global-warming deniers, favor tax cuts for the wealthy, against equal pay for women, against marijuana legalization, against universal healthcare, believe many debunked myths about President Obama, etc.

Modern-day Democrat: Not very religious; pro-science; pro-choice with regard to abortion - especially in the cases of rape, incest, or health troubles; support gay marriage; support government programs to help the needy; gun-control proponents; global-warming believers; against tax cuts for the wealthy; support equal pay for women; support marijuana legalization - at least medicinally; support universal healthcare; don't believe debunked myths about President Obama, etc.

Keeping these trends and descriptions in mind, here is a story, which takes place in the distant future, about how the two parties (countries) are faring:

Setting: The Oregon/Idaho border

::a man crosses the border from Idaho (part of Republistan) to Oregon (part of Democratus) on foot::

Border security guard Bubba Shrimp: "I'll need to see some ID."

Gilligan Billy-Joe Cosby: "Some what?"

Bubba: "ID, sir"

Gilligan: "I, I don't know if I have any. I have this name-tag I got at church earlier today. Does that work?"

Bubba: "Very well. Do you have a permit for that gun?"

Gilligan: "No"

Bubba: "You'll need to leave that here then if you want to cross the border. We'll give it back to you when head back to Idaho."

Gilligan: "Okay, I guess."

Bubba: "So what are you coming to Oregon for?"

Gilligan: "I don't know. I just started walking and here I am. I've never been this far before. I just wanted to see what it was like."

Bubba: "Have you ever been to any state in the country of Democratus?"

Gilligan: "No, none at all"

Bubba: "Well, then, this should be quite the interesting trip. I hope you enjoy yourself and have good things to say about us when you travel back."

Gilligan: "Thanks. Say, what are those things in the air over here? I've never seen those before."

Bubba: "Flying cars. Would you like me to call you a taxi, Gilligan? It appears as if you've walked quite a ways as it is and it may take a while before reaching one of our more interesting and entertaining sites."

Gilligan: "That would be swell."

Bubba: ::snaps his fingers and a taxi shows up:: "Here you are. Have a safe trip, sir."

Gilligan: "Say, what? What just...? Uh, okay..."

Cab driver Mahatma Smith: "Good afternoon. So, where would you like to go?"

Gilligan: "This thing flies?"

Mahatma: "Yes, that is correct. Where can I take you?"

Gilligan: "Gee, I don't know. I've never been here before. What would you recommend?"

Mahatma: "Okay, I'll take you to a fun little area with plenty of shops, restaurants, bars, and that kind of thing."

Gilligan: "That sounds good. Do you have any churches around here?"

Mahatma: ::laughs:: "You really haven't ever been here, have you?"

Gilligan: "No, I've only been in Idaho."

Mahatma: "No, we don't have any churches here. Our god is science in these parts."

Gilligan: "Science? What's that?"

Mahatma: "You don't have much over there in terms of computers and technology, do you? Or innovation in general, such as these flying cars for instance, do you?"

Gilligan: "No, we just go to church a lot, pray all these bad storms will go away, and just put our faith in our Lord Jesus Christ."

Mahatma: "...and how has that been working for you?"

Gilligan: "Not very well, unfortunately. But, it's bound to happen. Jesus will come again one day, and when he does, we'll all be saved and brought to the paradise known as heaven."

Mahatma: "Well, perhaps after visiting Oregon, your eyes will be widened, your horizons will be expanded, and you'll have a different outlook on things."

Gilligan: "So what's politics like here?"

Mahatma: "What do you mean exactly?"

Gilligan: "What do your politicians do? Ours mainly just talk about God, guns, and gays."

Mahatma: "Our political leaders continually try to improve transportation, improve our environment, bring about equality for people of different genders, religions, ethnicities, and orientations, and basically just try to improve our livelihoods."

Gilligan: "Even for the gays?"

Mahatma: "Yes, even for the gays"

Gilligan: "Are women allowed to go to school and work here?"

Mahatma: "Yeah, why, can they not over in Idaho?"

Gilligan: "Not unless they dress up like guys and that's frowned upon over there too."

Mahatma: "That's really a shame."

Gilligan: "I know. I have two daughters and I don't know what to tell them anymore."

Mahatma: "Well, if you like what you see over here, perhaps you can take them on a tour of the area and see how they like it. Who knows, if they like the area and are wanting to go to school and work, this could be your new home at some point."

Gilligan: ::smiles:: "Yeah, I think I like that. What about guns, though? I had to turn mine over at the border. I like it for protection."

Mahatma: "Guns are allowed here, but you have to take a training course, get your eyes and background checked, and that kind of thing, before being legally allowed to own a firearm."

Gilligan: "Wow, that sounds like a lot. I don't know if I like that..."

Mahatma: "Well, do you know how to properly fire a gun?"

Gilligan: "Yeah"

Mahatma: "Is your eyesight pretty good?"

Gilligan: "20/20"

Mahatma: "Have you ever committed a violent crime?"

Gilligan: "Heaven's no!"

Mahatma: "Then you'd have no problem in being able to own a gun here. We just don't want untrained, blind, or violent people owning guns, that's all."

Gilligan: "Oh, okay, well, I guess that's alright. Hey, I notice you don't have too many bums around these parts. Why is that?"

Mahatma: "Well, our government taxes the richest among us the most, we provide everyone equal opportunity for jobs, and we even provide aid for those whom are facing hard times. We also invest a lot of money in mental-health facilities and shelters. All of this helps most people earn a decent living so they can provide for their families, and keeps people and litter off the streets."

Gilligan: "Wow! Hey, do you mind if we turn around?"

Mahatma: "Really? But we haven't even gotten to that tourist attraction I was telling you about yet."

Gilligan: "I don't need to see it. I want to go home, pick up my two daughters, and come back here for good, I think."

Mahatma: ::smiles:: "You'll all be very welcome here. You're a good dad. I hope they know and appreciate that."

Gilligan: "Thanks. I hope so too."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"