Skip to main content

Can't we all just get along (meaning Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders supporters)?

While I had voted before, I didn't get seriously involved with politics until the 2008 election. My first election was in 2000 (when I was 19). I was in college, was focused more on partying and chasing girls than current events, and while I knew I leaned to the left, I didn't care a great deal about the world of politics. That all changed on 9/11 (when I was 20) when reality struck me (most of us) smack dab in the face and heart. I, and probably many others, was incredibly naive at that point in my life. I was a college kid, trying to find myself, trying to find what I wanted to do with my life, busy meeting new people, dating, and enjoying some semblance of independence/adulthood. Through all that, never did I think to myself we'd get struck by terrorists, we'd wage a seemingly endless war and lose thousands of our soldiers in the process, and my life would forever change by the horrific events on September 11th of 2001. Like most Americans, I was at a loss, uncertain of what was going on around me, and fearful of what was to come. It was at this time I dug deeper, to find out more about myself, the world around me, and what I believed. Through all my reading and research, I increasingly discovered I was a progressive. This led me to get a little more involved when the 2004 election rolled around. I wasn't thrilled with the Democratic candidate, John Kerry, but definitely preferred him over George W. Bush. When Bush's tenure was finally reaching a close, a candidate by the name of Barack Obama generated excitement in me unlike any candidate before him. I attended rallies, made donations, and did my share of work to try and get him elected. During this election cycle, he came from seemingly out of nowhere to challenge the Democratic frontrunner, Hillary Clinton. The two fought hard to the very end, with Obama being the eventual winner. There were times during the Democratic primary where I heard fellow Democrats say either, "If Hillary wins the nomination, I'm not voting!" or "If Obama wins, I'm sitting at home on election day!" In the end, the two sides were able to come together (for the most part) to elect a Democratic president in Barack Obama. Eight years later, I'm noticing a similar back-and-forth between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders supporters, mainly from Bernie Sanders supporters, and I sincerely hope, like in 2008, the two sides can come together to elect a Democrat for president.

Look, I understand ardent supporters' mindsets, how they have their hearts set on a particular candidate, and will severely disappointed if the other candidate wins the nomination. I understand that. I would have been disappointed if, after all the work I put forth to elect Obama as the Democratic nominee in 2008, Hillary Clinton won the nomination. However, in the end, I would have voted for Hillary Clinton over John McCain and Sarah Palin, and again over Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. This time around, I admit I like Bernie Sanders. If I had a perfect ticket, it'd be Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren (or vice versa). However, I'm also a realist and would be quite surprised if Hillary Clinton isn't the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee. No matter who the nominee is, though, we need to come together on election day next November. While Clinton or Sanders supporters may be disappointed their candidate wasn't the Democratic nominee, on election day next year, they need to ask themselves these questions:

- "Is it more important that I protest my preferred candidate not being the nominee or for us to make sure we uphold Roe v. Wade?"

- "Is it more important that I protest my preferred candidate not being the nominee or that we continue trying to expand rights of the LGBT community?"

- "Is it more important that I protest my preferred candidate not being the nominee or that we maintain the Affordable Care Act and even try expanding upon it?"

- "Is it more important that I protest my preferred candidate not being the nominee or that we actually think before sending our soldiers off to war?"

- "Is it more important that I protest my preferred candidate not being the nominee or to try and reverse Citizens United and the oligarchy which its helped set forth?"

- "Is it more important that I protest my preferred candidate not being the nominee or to try and look out for each and every demographic, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, or orientation?"

- "Is it more important that I protest my preferred candidate not being the nominee or to try and reduce gun violence through common sense laws?"

- "Is it more important that I protest my preferred candidate not being the nominee or try and add upon all the progressions we've made through the years?"

Yes, Sanders/Clinton supporters may be temporarily disappointed if their candidate isn't the eventual Democratic nominee, but not nearly as disappointed in the long-term if Donald Trump winds up becoming our president.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"