Skip to main content

American Arrogance (Ignorance)

Yeah, sometimes I get the two mixed up with one another. There seems to be a thin line at times between the two, arrogant and ignorant. In fact, some whom are arrogant are ignorant.

I bring this up due to a discussion I overheard a while back at a friend's house. I decided to stay out of the conversation, because I really didn't feel like getting into any debate. But the more I thought about what they said, the more I have to shake my head and roll my eyes.

The discussion dealt with immigrants and speaking fluent English. I did open my mouth and pointed out, "You know, we don't even really speak English here. Our English is somewhat different than that which is spoken in England, as well as Australia." They agreed, but that was the last time I opened my mouth about the subject.

One complaint was that at places such as Wal-Mart, at the quick check-in service, there are two language options from which to choose: "English" and Spanish. Both parties complained about this and whined that our national language is in fact English, so all should learn the language.

"English" is learned all over the world. English is taught to kids in most European countries. English seems to be the dominant language, where the majority know how to speak it, at the very least, in a broken sense. Many do, in fact, speak it fluently. While I agree that United States citizens should either already have a firm grasp of the language or be required to learn it, that's not the reason why my friends' comments annoyed me. It seems that many people in this country (that I've spoken to, anyway) have this "It's our way or the highway" mentality. It's the Christian way or it's eternal damnation to hell! It's English or go back home! It's capitalism or go somewhere else! You're either with us or against us! I cannot stand this ignorant arrogance or does arrogant ignorance sound better? However one wants to word it, it aggravates me enormously.

So, if these friends of mine or others who think like them travel to a foreign country, should they have a firm grasp of that country's native tongue before visiting? Should that country be considerate at all and give the option of hearing something at their version of Wal-Mart in their language or in others, so that foreign visitors can understand what they're doing? Would that be wrong on their part? Should they just tell everyone who speaks only English to keep out until they learn French, Italian, Spanish or whatever language they speak? Some countries don't even have a true dominant language. Should they make it so there is only one dominant language and people at "Wal-Mart" aren't annoyed by another language option?

I know some people and have heard of others who speak up to 12 different languages. I think that's amazing. Personally, I'd love to learn that many. It won't happen, at least not in this lifetime, but it'd be incredible to speak to people all over the world in their native language. Just because our national language here is "English" does not mean there aren't exchange students coming here from overseas or people visiting from a foreign country whom may not have a firm grasp on the English language. Why penalize these people for wanting to learn in or travel to our country when we wouldn't want the same to happen to us if we were to travel to another country? That makes no sense to me. They can complain all they want to, but I guarantee they would also be complaining if they traveled to Russia and the only language spoken or written anywhere was Russian.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"