Skip to main content

My Daily Dose of Religion

Why is it that everyone seems to have the answer and they claim that no one else does? Christians claim the answers reside in the Bible. Muslims claim the answers reside in the Koran. Mormons say the answers reside in the Book of Mormon. Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Joseph Smith. Follow one of their paths and you will see the lights of heaven shine down on you, but if you choose the wrong path to follow, then you'll be condemned for all eternity! I just listed four paths. Who knows how many others there are. So, what, we have a 1 in a countless numbered chance of being right on the path we follow? Is it basically a lottery? Luckily, I'm from Nebraska, and some guys from Lincoln won the $365 million jackpot not too terribly long ago, so maybe we're lucky there. But, that was a 1 in a countless numbered chance too, so maybe that was our one moment in the sun and we'll be SOL the rest of the way. Hmm, perhaps it is a good thing I moved to Ohio.

If I live in the western world, am not Christian and do not follow the path of Jesus, then bam! I'm zapped by the evil curse of the Devil and condemned for eternity. If I live in the Middle East, the same can be said about me if I was not Muslim. If I wasn't Hindu or Buddhist in other parts of Asia, the same could be said. This seems just a bit bizarre to me. I mean, I was born in the United States and the majority here follow the Christian faith and many claim it is the one, true and only way. What if we had been born in India? Or Iraq? Do you honestly think we'd still be Christian? I highly doubt it. So, does our eternal fate solely depend on where we were born from a geographical standpoint? For some reason, I find this very hard to believe. Born in the western world, oh yeah, I'm saved. Born elsewhere, I'm condemned forever! Uh huh.

It feels like a childish argument in order to show one's macho side, well their attempt to anyway. Remember when you were a child and you got into those little arguments with friends or foes that went something like this?
"My dad could beat your dad up!"
"Nuh-uh! My dad is stronger than your dad!"
or
"My house is taller than your house!"
"No way! I've seen your house and mine is way bigger!"
"I didn't say bigger! I said taller!"
"Whatever. It doesn't matter what you said! My house is bigger and taller!"

It sounds like two guys comparing their you know whats. So yeah, my God is better than your God. Or my God's prophet is better than your God's prophet. Does this ever end? Can't we ever grow up? If history repeats itself in this area, as it so often has, then the answer to that question would be a resounding no, because then one part of the world will start insulting the other's faith and we start a war over it. Isn't that special. That feels like a 6-year old starting a world war over the argument on whose father was stronger or whose house was larger. Give me a break.

I bring this all up because I heard someone a while back tell me a story after she got back from church. She brought up this story about Catholics and basically claimed that Catholics are not Christian. I was going to ask many questions and thought about getting into a debate, but if there's one thing I won't talk to this woman about, it's religion. Like I wrote about a while ago, religion makes some go blind and this is another example of that. Why is it that one's church always does it the right way and some other church or denomination is a cult or going against what that religion truly stands for? Why is that? I'll tell you why there are so many different denominations, the fact that scriptures can be interpreted countless numbers of ways, so not everyone is going to agree with one another in regard to what the messages were. Some churches are nothing but cults anymore. They just speak poorly of other cults and say, "Hey, if you know anyone that go to cults #1, 2 or 3, then bring them on over to our cult!" It drives me crazy! Can't we all just tolerate one another's beliefs and get along? I know that's way too much to ask, because we're the ones that are always right on this sort of thing!

Look at the similarities in major religions. If one follows the path of Jesus, Buddha, Mohammed or whomever, they're likely to follow similar paths. These religions have very similar bases and foundations: Don't lie, don't cheat, don't steal, don't murder, don't commit adultery, respect elders and children, basically, be a good and moral person. It's not like Christianity says not to kill and another major religion says, "Yes, kill them all!" No, sorry, it's not like that. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, amongst other religions, basically state to be a good and moral person. They all believe in a God. Yes, in the Koran, he/she/it's referred to as "Allah," but Allah is just Arabic for God. Look at the prophet names. Mohammed in the Middle East. Jesus in Judaism and then Christianity. Buddha in Buddhism. Any of them really surprising? It's not like the name Mohammed would be studied and followed over in a Hindu and Buddhist country, while Buddha was studied and followed in English-speaking country.

The only question I have regarding names is the name Joseph Smith. Couldn't they have come up with something better than Joe Smith? Smith is one of the most common last names in this country and Joe is probably one of the more common first names for males in this country. It'd be like Bob Johnson or Bill Jones. Another question I have with regard to names are the terms "God" and "Devil." How lame is that? Add one more "o" to God and you have good, so that makes for a perfect phrase, such as, "God is so good." Wow, that was easy! Then, with Devil, the word evil resides in that word, so, "The Devil is evil." Wow, isn't that clever? I mean, why isn't "God's" name something funky like Xerxes Benjamin Velveeta? And the Devil's name is something like Mickey Rafael Empire? Why is it just "God" and "Devil?" Sounds like a brainwashing technique to me and a way to make easy money through sayings, advertisements and marketing.

So, to all those out there, wherever you may place on a religious spectrum, is there any possible way we could stop finger pointing and comparing our father's strength or house size to others'? As long as another's beliefs aren't hurting themselves or others in any way, can't we try to at least tolerate those beliefs, if not, accept them? The person to whom I earlier referred who said that Catholics weren't Christian, I don't think she's ever stepped foot in a Catholic church. She just goes by what her "cult" tells her. So, please, can't we open our minds for once and perhaps, get along? Just for me? Thank you very much. As Springer used to say, "Take care of yourselves and each other."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"