Skip to main content

Some Need to Stay at the Shallow End

Why do I say this? Some people are not very deep thinkers and that's being nice. They're about as deep as a cupcake holder and again, that's being nice. I say this in response to some comments I received regarding a book I wrote. The comments weren't even mean or negative, but they were the kind of comments where I was stunned into silence, with one question lingering in my mind, "What?"

I wrote a book of poetry and released that a while back. At the very start of the book, the introduction, I wrote about my inspirations, my influences and my intentions. There were three major intentions with the book: 1) To provoke thought, 2) To open minds and 3) To touch on emotions. I tried to write many of them in a novel format, where there's a main character, thoughts and feelings of that main character are expressed and the message or moral of the story is known by the end. There were other poems where I took on controversial issues, tackled politics, religion and even played around with a few odd ideas. As I tried explaining from the start, these were written to provoke thought and open minds. They were not written as a black and white way of saying, "This is how it is. This is right. That is wrong. Deal with it." I tried to go against the mainstream in many of these poems, in attempt to widen horizons and expand boundaries of readers. I believe that many times, from when we're first born, we have decisions made for us, have beliefs shoved down our throats and have little choice to decide for ourselves what it is we actually think or feel about an issue. By the time we have that option, it may be so ingrained in us, that it's too late to open our minds to anything else. I know that and that was one key motivation for me to write these poems.

I just heard from a friend last night that he shared my book with a friend of his and someone I've known for a while. I guess she pointed to a poem that she felt was about a man using a woman for sex and said it was "so true." Then she commented that she doesn't agree with my political views. It's not like when I read a novel, I see it as being black and white, true or not. Novels are fictional (not true). They're fictional or sometimes fantasy journeys to travel on, as the reader confides in a main character and travels with them. It's not an opinionated blog, where a person may read and nod at something they agree with or shake their head in disgust at something they don't agree with. Oddly enough, that poem wasn't even about men using women for sex, but I won't tell her that, because that is one beautiful thing about art, the multitude of interpretations that go along with it. What kind of bothers me is the fact that she read these things just by reading the words and not getting into the feeling of the words that were expressed. I find that it's very difficult to truly appreciate art unless we attempt to be emotionally involved with it. Most of the political ones were there to provoke thought and open minds. One deals with the idea that what we label as "conservatives" today (especially those at the top of the ladder) would not be considered conservatives by Ronald Reagan and the like. One deals with contradictions and hypocrisies. Regardless of how blind we want to be, every country has those. One attempts to illustrate the ridiculousness of labeling a person as being Anti-American for disagreeing with a presidential decision during a time of war. Another deals with the imperfections of capitalism. Yet another revolves around 9/11 and the latent consequences our country has faced because of that horrific day. These are not poems where one should agree or disagree. They're there to catch a reader's interest and hopefully provoke them to do some reading and research of their own to come to a decision for themselves and not one that was made for them years ago. Even that one where she claimed she agreed with me on. Again, that's not a poem where one should either agree or disagree. That's an emotional piece that should trigger feelings, not a yes or a no.

Some people should just remain in their floaties and stay at the shallow end of the pool. They should stick to slapstick and stupid-humored comedies, read columns and op-eds and beware of the dangers that come with swimming in the deep end. It's much easier for one's head to go underwater, at which point, their eyes must close, because things cannot be seen very clearly anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"