Skip to main content

Intentionally Misinterpreting Statements As Being Literal

I enjoy being a pain in the butt sometimes. I enjoy being creative, am a bit of a word geek and a bit of a smarta*s as well. Due to this, I detest clichés. First off, there isn’t any originality to re-using the same tired phrases over and over again. Also, I find that many of them don’t make an ounce of sense. So, I heartily enjoy intentionally misinterpreting such statements, in order to depict the ambiguity which resides in them and to showcase just how ridiculous the phrases are.

Following will be fictionalized dialogue between some unknown person and myself, where he/she/it will utter a common phrase or saying and I will respond accordingly.

Debra: “I’m as happy as a clam.”

Me: “The one you just ate?”


Anna: “Good morning!”

Me: “Are you trying to be funny?”


Albert: “There’s no ‘I’ in team!”

Me: “That is quite the observation. There isn’t a w, p, q or r either.”


Sherrie: “Come on, Craig. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.”

Me: “Don’t worry about it. I planned on staring at it for a while before speaking to it in Swedish.”


Jorge: “You know, man. We were just shooting the sh*t.”

Me: “Wouldn’t it be better to just flush the sh*t instead?”


Lucy: “As you know, the pen is mightier than the sword.”

Me: “Do you have a pen? I brought my sword. Let’s do this!”


Paul: “Let’s not beat around the bush, Craig.”

Me: “Suit yourself. I’ll be back in about a half hour.”


Jerry: “I don’t give a rat’s a*s what that guy says!”

Me: “He’ll probably be disappointed. I heard he is a collector of rats’ as*es.”


Ernest: “I am not a happy camper right now.”

Me: “But we’re bowling…”


Tasha: “My ex wouldn’t know his a*s from his elbow!”

Me: “Can I see a picture?”


Becky: “Don’t give up, Craig! There are plenty of fish in the sea.”

Me: “No offense to them, but I’m not attracted to fish.”


Faith: “That guy really is barking up the wrong tree!”

Me: “I know. What does he think he is? A cocker spaniel? I hope he doesn’t fall.”


Lois: “Craig, you are the apple of my eye!”

Me: “Thanks and you’re the grapes of my nose.”


Alyssa: “I have to say this, Craig. You’re really starting to rub me the wrong way.”

Me: “I’m sorry about that. How about I make it up to you? Let’s go back to my place, so I can rub you the right way?”


Harry: “I’m just trying to think outside the box. What ideas do you have, smart one?”

Me: “One sec. I’ve got to get out of this damn box. I’ll be right with you.”


Chuck: “Craig, the writing is on the wall.”

Me: “Yeah, I know. I was just in the bathroom. Do you know anyone named Jerome?”


Chandra: “It’s really raining cats and dogs out there!”

Me: “PETA is going to be pissed!”


Bob: “It’s colder than a witch’s tit out there!”

Me: “Really? I remember Lucinda’s were like ice cubes, the right one anyway.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"