Skip to main content

Immigration

I never knew how much of a hot-button issue this was until a couple years ago or so. I've gotten into heated discussions about capital punishment, abortion, religion, but never had I gotten into such a discussion regarding immigration.

First off, I'd like to define immigrant based solely on what the dictionary tells me.

Immigrant- One who comes to a country for the purpose of permanent residence.
A person who leaves one country to settle permanently in another.

There you have it, an unbiased definition coming right out of the dictionary. Based on that definition, I only have one question to ask - isn't everyone in the United States here because of immigration? It's not like my family just woke up in America 200 years ago. No, they traveled from Germany, Poland and England to settle here. That's the case with every single one of us. Nobody out there can tell me that they are American through and through, and that all their relatives' lives started in the U.S. If someone does tell me that, I'm just not going to buy it, not even if it's half off.

For Anglo-Americans out there, such as myself, we also have to remember we weren't the first ones to settle in this country. The Vikings and the Natives both came here long before we did. Should they have built fences around the country to keep us out? Would we have been in favor of that then? I'm guessing not. But since it's not "us" we're talking about now, then it doesn't matter, right? Eh...

Alright, so, what? Some like to say that the "Mexicans" are taking over this country. It's chaos! An emergency! Maybe SOME people in this country should just live in their own little gated-communities. Would they feel safe and happy then? No matter how many illegal immigrants there are in this country, trust me, they're not taking over. Anglo-Americans are still the majority in this country, at over 70% of the population. So, don't be running to your gated-communities just yet, even if Rush Limbaugh tells you to do so.

One problem is an overpopulation problem in Mexico. Mexico City, the capital of Mexico, is the fastest growing city in the world and could very well be the most populated city in the world in a few years. We've got plenty of space in this country. Just look at states like Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Nebraska, amongst others. As long as they are able to come here and earn their citizenship, then I have no problem with it. That's what we all did. Ancestors of ours came here from Europe and earned their stay. These people deserve the same opportunity.

Comments

  1. Me too, I'm of the same opinion. I just don't like it when my dad or mom starts saying that they need to put a major halt on immigration because people form other countries are coming here and soaking up all the jobs. I've been looking for a job since 2 summers ago and still can't seem to find one, and my parents, my mom, dad and stepdad, all say the same thing-- it's because of the immigrants coming to America and taking all the jobs away from hard working Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people need a scapegoat. When things don't go their way, hey, let's blame someone else.

    I don't think immigrants coming here is the problem when it comes to the job market. One problem is our employing people overseas for profit. If we did away with that or at least decreased the numbers, we'd have less unemployed citizens domestically. Immigrants are just the scapegoat, I think. The majority of them take jobs most other people don't want. But, even with these rather low-paying jobs they tend to occupy, they're still getting paid more than they were when they lived outside this country, so while the majority of U.S. citizens wouldn't be very happy with the pay or lifestyle that kind of pay would bring, these people see it as paradise compared to what their previous job, pay and lifestyle.

    Best of luck finding a job too! Just stick to it and you'll land a job eventually. An uncle of mine was unemployed for a couple years (Chrysler...in Detroit) and he found a job a few months ago. It may take a little while, but it will happen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"