Skip to main content

“It’s All Mental!”

Is it all in our head? A buzz after one drinks alcohol? Love? Misery? Seizures? Highs? Depression? Is everything controllable? What is possible and not possible is dependent upon our thoughts and beliefs? If one believes they can beat depression, can they automatically flip the negative thoughts to positive ones and go from misery to joy? If one battles seizures, can they beat and overcome the seizures through outwitting them? Is everything a choice? Can we ultimately decide everything that will or won't occur in our lifetimes and how these events will affect us?

Some would like to believe this. I wish I could believe it. But there are some things in life that we cannot help. I didn't have a choice as to what gender I'd be, whom my parents would be, what language I'd be born into, where I'd be born, what skin color I'd have, what orientation I'd be, what religion I'd be born into, what political leanings I'd be surrounded by, what health issues I'd be born with, amongst many other things. That's what I was born with and born into. I had no choice in the matter.

As we grow, the ability to make decisions for ourselves expand, but the permission to make decisions for ourselves is rarely ever at a maximum. We're either working under someone or compromises come a-calling when we're dating, married to or living with a person.

What about thoughts, feelings and sensations as we grow? Are they all choice? Can we numb or block out the pain of an ankle sprain if we so choose? If we choose to drive on a given night, can we block out a buzz from drinking alcohol if we wish? Is happiness or sadness all a choice?

Attitude can play a major factor in how one feels on a daily basis. If one holds their head high and carries with them an optimistic attitude about everyday life, that will definitely play a role in their overall level of happiness. However, there are genetic and environmental factors we can't ignore. Almost everything has some link (from minimal to extreme) when it comes to heredity. Alcoholism and depression are no different. If there's a history of alcoholism or depression in a family, while this by no means guarantees that a new-born will grow up to be a depressed alcoholic, it does increase the likelihood of them developing some form of depression or having troubles with alcohol. Environment also plays a role. If a family is non-communicative and seemingly depressed, the child will most likely suffer negative consequences. If a child is born during the mass genocide in Sudan, the war in Ira, or the Holocaust, what he or she was born into and surrounded by will definitely affect the child.

I wish life was so simple. I wish everything we thought, believed, felt and experienced was based on choice. But it's not that simple. It's complex. There are some choices we can freely make for ourselves. There are others we need guidance with. There are yet others that are unfortunately beyond our control.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"