Skip to main content

The National Smokers’ Convention

Yeah, I attended The National Smokers' Convention a while back. I went to a friend's place and out of ten people (including myself), I was the only non-smoker there. Even a gal with asthma was smoking.

Smoking has been banned in public places in Nebraska, where I used to live, and also Ohio, where I currently live. So, smokers are ticked and there are even silly commercials appearing on television dealing with the continuous bans. I saw one a while ago that stated a high percentage of people die in their sleep, so, are we going to ban sleep? Yeah, I get what they're trying to say. If people can die in their sleep or by smoking, then why does it make sense to ban one, but not the other? A friend of mine said it brought up a good point. Not exactly. It's a very desperate attempt by smokers to hang on to those beautiful cancer sticks. Why doesn't it bring up a good point? Sleeping is an essential component to a human being's life. One needs rest in order to survive. One does not need smoking to survive. If a person is working too much, a doctor might say to try and cut the hours down some, so they can get better sleep and can therefore function better at work. The doctor will never say, "Well, I think I know what the problem is. Here's my prescription. Marlboro lights. Smoke about a pack a day and this is good for a month. Once that time occurs, get back to me and we'll see how you're progressing." No, that's not going to happen. Also, I've heard of a lot of things that cause cancer, but when's the last time that you heard of sleep causing cancer? To the throat? lungs? mouth? "Oh, that's what we call sleep cancer. If you get more than a couple hours in a given night, then you'll be more prone to getting this type of cancer." Also, people who die in their sleep usually do so at an old age. These things don't typically happen to people in their teens or twenties. So, again, that commercial brought forth a very weak argument. But, smokers won't see it that way. They'll just nod and smile in unison like they've just thought up the theory of relativity.

How much does one need to smoke? The people I hung out with at this smokers' convention were smoking all night. Are cigarettes like clothing for some of these people? They feel naked anywhere they go without cigarettes nearby? That's worse than alcoholics. What, do they carry shot glasses with them everywhere they go? They wear those khakis with 5-10 pockets and a shot glass in every pocket? Many of these people complain about not having any money. Gee, I wonder why. With gas prices being what they are, buying packs and packs of cigarettes on a weekly (daily for some) basis can't be helping matters any. Are some of these people still in the "smoking is cool" stage in life? Because everyone else (besides me) was doing it, they felt more compelled to smoke?

Smoking in one's own home, if they so choose to do so, is fine with me, but why endanger others to second-hand smoke in public restaurants and such places? Why not even have the courtesy to ask someone like myself if it'll bother me before they light up? They complain that they're losing their rights. Smoking will never be permanently banned. Too much money would be lost. But, let me ask them this. If public places allowed skunks inside and these skunks weren't sweet like Flower from "Bambi," would they complain about skunk spray in public places? Would they get sick and tired of taking a couple hours to get ready for a night out at a bar, go inside for 5 minutes and walk out wreaking like smoke? It gets very old. What gets even older is their weak arguments about their disgusting habit. Yeah, we should ban sleeping, just as we should ban living, because 100% of people who live die. Although, they may be in favor of that weak argument. With how often they light up those cancer sticks, it's obvious to me that they don't truly respect their lives or those around them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"