Skip to main content

An interracial Virginia couple will never step into a Wal-Mart again

I just came across a story which both angered and saddened me. I guess a man took his three daughters to a Wal-Mart in Woodbridge, Virginia. Since the man is white and his three little girls are biracial, at least one person told security that he or she was worried these girls were kidnapped.

After returning home with his kids, the father and mother were soon greeted by a police officer, who had been contacted by Wal-Mart and alerted about a possible kidnapping. As could be expected, the girls' mother and father were none too pleased.

The girls' parents claim the cop said, "Hey, I was sent here by Wal-Mart security. I just need to make sure that the children you have are your own."

The cop then reportedly asked for the father's ID and asked the 4-year old daughter who her mother and father were.

After the cop left, the mother called Wal-Mart, asking for some answers.

In response, she claims she was told, "Well, the customer was concerned because they saw the children with your husband and he didn't think that they fit."

The mother then responded, "What do you mean by they don't fit?"

The Wal-Mart employee replied with, "Well, they just don't match up."

Wal-Mart has since issued a statement, saying, "There's still a lot of unknowns at this time and we're currently looking into the situation."

The mother and father have both said, that as a result of this, they'll never shop at Wal-Mart again.

Last I checked, this was 2013, not 1913. Racists and traditionalists alike need to start getting used to the fact that there are going to be interracial couples and increasingly so with the ever growing diversity we're experiencing in this country. The allegedly concerned Wal-Mart shopper couldn't have been overly bright, which I find is quite commonplace among racists (or sexists or homophobes, etc.). When's the last time you heard of a kidnapper taking three seemingly happy little girls to shop at Wal-Mart? Yeah, for racists, prejudice overrides logic.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/22286875/va-father-says-he-was-suspected-of-kidnapping-his-kids-by-walmart-security-due-to-his-children-being-mixed#axzz2TpweLkZl

Comments

  1. Wow. I wish I could say this surprised me, but I have a friend with biracial children, and I know some of the things she's had to deal with. I understand how a young child might ask questions, but fully grown adults should know better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I completely agree. I'm currently in a relationship with a woman who is quad-racial (a pair of biracial kids). To this point, she and I haven't had to deal with anything like the couple mentioned in this story, fortunately. Hopefully those such occasions remain very few and far between, for she and I, as well as other interracial couples.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"