Skip to main content

Who should we elect president? Just ask the dogs...

The Mitt Romney dog incident has been traveling about the airwaves for a couple months now, I believe. It's been reported that upon taking a family vacation in 1983 I want to say (for a change, I'm too lazy to fact check this) and took their dog Seamus for a ride...on the roof of the car. Many dog groups were not happy upon hearing this news. So just the other day, the Romney camp let the world know that in President Obama's book "Dreams From My Father," he admitted to eating dog meat. He was 9-10 years old, living in Indonesia and this meat had been prepared for him by his superiors. So, there we have it. It's all about the dogs.

Romney: 36-year old man who strapped the family dog to the hood of the car on a family trip.

Obama: 9-10-year old boy who had dog meat prepared for him while living in Indonesia.

Yeah, those two stories are comparable...not really. The thing is, America is a dog-loving country. We typically see these animals as pets, as friends, as family. So I'm sure to the majority of Americans (including myself), the thought of eating dog meat is pretty gross. However, it's not rare in the country of Indonesia for dog meat to be consumed. They view the animal differently there than they do here. It'd be like if an Indian traveled to the United States, was feed beef as a child and then ventured back to India. Upon hearing the news, I'm sure many of the country's residents would be disgusted, perhaps even offended, because cows are seen very differently in the two country's. They're seen as sacred in the country of India and are seen as food in the United States. Would I myself ever eat dog meat? Unless my life depended on it, no. But this is more due to with where I was born and raised than about morality. Who am I to judge what is or is not moral when it comes to the consumption of meat (or the refusal of eating it)?

So, sure, I can understand what the Romney camp was attempting to do with this story, but I think it's a fail. They're just looking at things too simply (go figure, right?). Both stories deal with dogs and the two candidates  not really treating them as the friends, the family members most Americans see them as. However, one deals with a 36-year old man whom likely had (along with his wife perhaps) the final say on the matter and a 9-10-year old boy who really had no say in the matter. For the Romney camp to pick on a 9-10-year old boy like that is pretty low in my opinion. That'd be like a person whom has had his or her problems with alcohol and bar fights due to it trying to divert attention away from themselves by poking fun of a person because he/she found their father's bottle of whiskey when they were 9 years old and got drunk off it, not knowing any better. Yup, since both scenarios deal with alcohol, they're automatically the same! NOT! FAIL! Try again, Mitt! ...but this time, go after Barack when he was still an infant. That's not beneath you, right? ::rolls eyes::

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...