Skip to main content

Seeking Motivation

I remember about four years ago, I looked at myself in the mirror after getting out of the shower and didn't like what I saw. On that day, I told myself I'd change my habits, lose some weight and one day be proud of what I saw in that same mirror. I did that. I lost 20-25 lbs. before becoming seriously ill for almost two years and being unable to work out at all. Fortunately, I stuck to my new lifestyle as far as eating habits and the like went, so I only gained about 5 lbs. in those two years. When I magically got to feeling better in late December of 2010, I found a motivation I had never felt before and went on to lose another 20-25 lbs. for a total weight loss of 45 lbs. It even got to the point where a few people said I was too thin. Then in July of last year, I underwent gall bladder surgery and it took a long time to get to the point where I was comfortable working out again. Unfortunately, I fell back into some of my bad habits during this time and wound up gaining 29 lbs. in the process. I've been better about things over the past month or so and have lost 7 lbs. back, but that's been mainly due to walking my dog a great deal and not eating junk anymore. It's been especially difficult finding motivation to work out consistently again this second go-round. Yeah, I'm 23 lbs. lighter than I was at this point four years ago when I started, but it's amazing how one step on the scale a month or so ago can damage a person's confidence, motivation and sense of accomplishment. I'm trying to find that motivation I felt initially four years ago, even half that I felt at this point last year. I don't even want to lose the other 22 lbs. However, I'm thinking another 5-10 would be nice and then work more on building muscle after that as opposed to losing more weight. I know I can do it. I've done it once already. I'm just going to have to dig deep down and find that inner-strength and focus I know are present, but haven't felt in some time. That shovel's gotta be around here somewhere. I'm going to keep looking until I find it and then go to work...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...