Skip to main content

When the country is more concerned about the concealed carry of sugar than guns

Since 1972, worldwide there have been 18,483 fatalities via plane crash. Since 2001, there have been 3,222 fatalities in the United States via terrorism, 2,902 of those occurring on September 11th of 2001. Combined, that's 21,705 fatalities. So, on average, there are approximately 528 deaths via plane crash worldwide every year and 190 deaths via terrorism in the United States on an annual basis. If we were to strip 9/11 from said equation, that average would decrease to 20 per year. Even if we go with the high end of that range, the two variables would combine for an average of 718 deaths every year. In other words, it's probably more likely for a person to die by getting struck by lightning than for him/her to die in a plane crash or by an act of terror. Yet we seem to be more paranoid than ever of being victimized by these lottery-jackpot odds, enough so that we've nonchalantly allowed our freedoms to be infringed for a false sense of security.

I say this because of a recent incident involving the TSA. Remember the time when we could go through the security line without removing our shoes, raising our hands like we're being held at gunpoint by the police, getting frisked even after walking through the metal detector unscathed? Those were the days, right? Not only that, but there's now a list of items one can't bring on a plane which may have exceeded the length of California. One item on the list? Sugar. My mother, a 64-year-old woman who feels guilty about swatting at mosquitoes, even after they've infected her with the West Nile virus, was taken aside by TSA agents due to a bag of sugar she had in her purse. This led to her missing the flight and getting to her destination 6 hours later than originally scheduled. Really? Is this really what we've come to in this country? We can't seem to pass any laws to limit gun violence, which kills approximately 35,000 people in this country every year, but we're fearful of a 64-year-old women possessing sugar at an airport? Give me a fricking break...

http://www.airfleets.net/crash/fatalities_year.htm


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...