Skip to main content

A different perspective on income taxes

The older I get, the more I hear people complain about taxes. When you're a kid, you say, "Santa's going to bring me presents this year! I just know it!" When you're an adult, that sentiment transforms into, "There are only two guarantees in life: Death and taxes."

Think about how much you thought and talked about taxes growing up. That didn't take long, did it? Same here. I doubt I even knew what taxes were until I reached middle or high school. Little did I realize taxes, from people I'd probably never interact with in my life, were largely responsible for my safety, transportation, and education, among other things. Sadly, I, like most kids, took these services for granted. In hindsight, I of course appreciate them more. Oddly enough, it seems many adults, while being as ignorant as I was about taxes and the benefits they provided growing up, either remain ignorant of said benefits or take on the selfish mindset of, "I got mine growing up. Good luck getting yours. Not my problem."

Look, I get it. Once a person starts making a good income, they feel like they made it, and have earned the right to make the very most of the money. What these individuals seem to fail to realize, however, is that they didn't "build that" all by themselves. They should express some gratitude to all those whom made their opportunities and success possible. This is where taxes come into play. The cycle continues.

I have a starkly different perspective on taxes than the before-mentioned individuals. Oddly enough, I actually look forward to the day when I can pay a good percentage in taxes. Why? For one, that would mean I'd made it, that I had achieved my dream. Secondly, it would allow me to feel like I'm giving back, like I'm helping kids grow up with the same opportunities I did. Now that I have a greater understanding of taxes and their benefits, I'll be eternally grateful for the benefits they've provided me, especially growing up. The last thing I'd want to do is deprive the next generations of those benefits because of greed. The saying goes, "There are two guarantees in life: Death and taxes." I'd like to change that up some. One guarantee is, before death, you can help instill life through taxes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...