Skip to main content

A Straight Pride Parade Is A Straight-Up Bad Idea

An idea for a Straight Pride Parade has been floated about in recent weeks and I'm here to tell everyone, regardless of the organizers' intentions, it's a straight-up bad idea.

There's often debate among Straight White Christian Men's rights advocates that there's a seemingly constant societal double-standard against them. Why can there be a Black History Month but not a White History Month? Why should women's employer-based healthcare plans include contraception coverage, but not men's? Why is it okay to poke fun of Christianity but not Islam? Why can gays get their own parade but not straights?

The fact of the matter is straights have a Constitutional right to hold their own pride parade. Such an event is protected by the First Amendment. That's not what this is about, though. The LGBT community doesn't hold a pride parade every year to tell the world, "Look at us! We can say we're gay because of the Constitution! Hip-hip-hooray!" It's about far more than that.

For any person who thinks there should be a Straight Pride Parade, let me ask you this... When have you ever been prevented from marrying the love of your life because of your sexuality? When have you ever been told you can't adopt children because of your orientation? When have you ever been arrested, fired, or asked to leave an establishment because you're straight? When have you ever been condemned, beaten, or contemplated suicide due to societal norms and pressures because you're heterosexual? When have you ever had to tell your parents, shaking from fear in the process, that you're attracted to the opposite sex and been disowned by them? I'm guessing never.

Whether we want to admit it or not, heterosexuals, such as myself, intentionally or unintentionally parade our privileges to those beneath us according to the law. We take these things for granted. It's literally impossible to fully comprehend what the LGBT community has had to endure throughout their years of oppression. That's what we need to do - listen and try to understand. We may never get there in the literal sense, but the very least we can do is try, and the last thing we need to do is hold a pride parade which touts the rights we've always possessed, taken for granted, and have been withheld from the LGBT community - basically spitting in their faces as a result. We can't cry over our privileges not being displayed in a parade all the while our LGBT brothers and sisters are still being oppressed from that which we've taken for granted. What we should take pride in is helping all oppressed communities attain equality. Then and only then can we legitimately call America the land of the free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...