Skip to main content

Weeding out the negative influences in life

Negative people, negative influences can seem like weeds at times, as just when you think you've gotten rid of them, they come back. Then there typically comes a time when you think, "How much harm are they really doing? If I just stop initiating anything, perhaps they'll eventually just go away." When that doesn't work and they continue to call or text (the people, not the weeds), you then try to just ignore them, thinking they'll eventually get the hint. Some may eventually give up, but there's always that one extremely persistent weed. No matter what you spray on it, no matter how deep the root is you pull out, it peeks its ugly face at you the next time you venture out to your garden.

I've run into just this situation a number of times, especially of late it seems, and I have to admit, it's sometimes difficult to remain persistent in fighting against these negative influences. When they realize they're on the verge of losing what they thought was a friend and they start lashing out, it'd be easy to try and fight back. If they call once in a great while, it'd be tempting to answer, thinking, "Haven't heard from them in a while. Catching up wouldn't kill me." If you're feeling lonely and want to get out and do something and they text you, asking if you want to do just that, it'd be common to think take them up on it. If you truly want to rid yourself of these nasty weeds in your life, you can't do that. You have to stay strong. You can't give in to temptation, for if you do, that'll just elongate the weeds' stay in your garden, further corrupting it in the process.

No matter how lonely you are; no matter how guilty you may feel for not replying or for telling someone off; no matter your history with a negative individual, it does no good to continue allowing them to linger around in your life. Spending one night alone when you aspire to go out is just one bad night. Spending that night with a negative individual who has reeked havoc on your life on a number of occasions and allowing them to continue doing so for the foreseeable future can and will likely result in many bad nights, weeks, months, and even years to come. Stay true to yourself and cut people like this off, before they inflict so much pain and damage upon you, it distorts your identity and future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...