Skip to main content

Adam Sandler Officially Sucks

I admit, I've never been a huge fan of comedian/actor Adam Sandler. I wasn't blown away by his performance on Saturday Night Live, his song about Hanukkah and there's just something about his voice that has always sounded like nails against a chalkboard to me.

When I was a young lad, I did enjoy his film "Happy Gilmore," but quickly grew out of that. I was never too keen on "Billy Madison". I did enjoy "Wedding Singer," thought "Big Daddy" was more or less cute and found some parts of the stupid comedy "Airheads" to be funny (that was a long time ago, though. I'm not certain I'd still find it humorous). "The Longest Yard" I felt had some funny moments, but as is usually the case, wasn't nearly as good as the original. I have appreciated some of his more serious films, such as "Punch-Drunk Love," "Spanglish," "Anger Management" and "Funny People". I haven't been blown away by any of them, but felt they were more quality films than his others and appreciated him going outside of the character he's usually typecast as.

Given all that, Adam Sandler is beginning to drive me crazy, both for his awful films and how he seems to bank big bucks on the majority of them. The majority of critics feel the same way. Let me first get to the awful films Sandler has starred in through the years: "Bulletproof," "The Waterboy," "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo," "Little Nicky," "The Hot Chick," "Eight Crazy Nights," "Mr. Deeds," "Click," "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry," "Bedtime Stories," "You Don't Mess with the Zohan," "Grown Ups," "Zookepper" and most recently, "Jack and Jill". The sad thing is that it appears Sandler's movies are getting worse and worse and for the quality of films he's starred in previously, that's pretty sad.

The truly amazing part is regardless of how awful the film is, Sandler seems to draw a large crowd. Below I will list the titles of some of his films, how they score on the movie review site RottenTomatoes.com and follow that with how much money they grossed:

1. "Mr. Deeds": 22% of critics liked it and it grossed $126.2 million

2. "Anger Management": 44% and $133.8 M

3. "50 First Dates": 44% and $120.8 M

4. "The Longest Yard": 31% and $158.0 M

5. "Click": 33% and $137.3 M

6. "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry": 14% and $119.7 M

7. "Bedtime Stories": 25% and $110.0 M

8. "You Don't Mess with the Zohan": 37% and $100.0 M

9. "Grown Ups": 10% and $162.0 M

To this point in his career, Sandler has starred in nine films which have grossed $100 million or more. These nine films have an average positive rating by critics of 28.9%, which have grossed a combined $1,167,800,000, an average of $129.8 million per picture.

In his most recent film, "Jack and Jill," just 4% of critics liked it, yet it opened last weekend finishing second at the box office, bringing in $25 M.

I just pray to all that is holy that Mr. Sandler either starts starring in some better comedies, goes the more serious route or if he continues to star in these horrendous "comedies" (if one wants to refer to them as such), for these films to bomb at the box office. I ask all these things in the precious name of quality cinema history. Amen.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/adam_sandler/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...