Skip to main content

14 is not average...

So, I was comparing my responses to some questions with others and one of the questions was something along the lines of, "If someone you were dating admitted to having slept with 14 people, what would your reaction be? That'd be too many and you'd run out the door? It'd bother you, but wouldn't affect your feelings? It's about average? You wouldn't care one way or another?"

I wrote that it was too many. I read a couple people (around my age) saying that it was about average. I got to thinking, "Seriously? Is that about average? If so, I'm way behind!"

So, I did some research. This is what I do. I found this semi-recent Kinsey study revolving around sex - http://www.iub.edu/~kinsey/resources/FAQ.html

In the study, it says by the time someone is 30, a woman will, on average, have slept with 4 guys and a guy will have slept with between 6 and 8 women. So, in both cases, 14 is a bit high, on average 10 higher for women and between 6 and 8 higher for men. Even these averages are a bit on the high side for me, but they make me feel a little safer about ever engaging in said activity again. I may remain forever abstinent if everyone was sleeping around with 14 people. Geesh... Even the 6-8 would make me quite hesitant and 4 may be right on the borderline.

So yeah, anytime I hear someone say that 14 is average in terms of the number of sexual partners one has by the time they're 30, I'm going to see the doctor and get tested from just being in their presence and there's no way I'll be #15.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...