He could play football very well, but just because one can play a sport efficiently doesn't mean he or she make for a good announcer of the sport. I'm watching the Fiesta Bowl right now and it's painful for me to listen to due to Millen's commentary. On an obvious helmet-to-helmet hit earlier in the game, the referees failed to make the call. Millen's partner for the game (not partner in anything else, I don't believe) said, via replay, it looked like a helmet-to-helmet hit which should have resulted in a penalty. Upon review, Millen continued to back up his claim that it was just good defense. He's done this on a number of occasions. I have a feeling if a defender literally decapitated an offensive player, Millen would say, "You know what? That's just solid, fundamental football right there. That's old-school football. I like it." Yes, and I like to mute the television set when he's announcing.
After its first week, I gave The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore a B+ grade. While I didn't think the show appeared to be perfect by any stretch of the imagination, I also liked the Daily Show meets Politically Incorrect vibe I got from it, and thought, with the proper adjustments, the show would indeed provide a great fill-in for The Colbert Report . In the show's succeeding weeks, however, I've been less impressed by it and think that if it doesn't make certain adjustments, it could be in jeopardy of losing many long-time viewers of the show's time slot. One major issue I think the show's had to this point is a lack of direction. It's been unable to decide whether it wants to be a comedy show with serious conversation sprinkled in or a serious show with comedy sprinkled in. It's almost as if the show's writers want to give The Nightly Show a Real Time with Bill Maher feel. The problem with that idea or format is the fact Real Time is an hour lon...
Comments
Post a Comment