Skip to main content

Vikings special teams coach Mike Priefer - "Nuke the gays!"

In January, former Minnesota Vikings punter and LGBT rights activist Chris Kluwe published an article on Deadspin where he made the claim that special teams coach Mike Priefer one time told him, "We should round up all the gays, send them to an island, and then nuke it until it glows."

This led to the Vikings launching an independent investigation, with the summary of the results being released this past Friday. The report concluded that Priefer did indeed make the comment about nuking gays, and he has since been suspended for the first three games of the season. The team also plans on donating $100,000 to an LGBT organization.

Humorously enough, the team's lawyers said that even though Priefer made the nuke-the-gays comment, he has otherwise been very respectful of the LGBT community, saying that, "...other than Kluwe's allegations, there is no support in the record of Priefer made any additional statements of this nature."

Let's review the comment again, shall we?

Priefer: "We should round up all the gays, send them to an island, and then nuke it until it glows."

Lawyers' defense: "Other than this comment, Priefer has been very respectful of the LGBT community."


Translation:

Priefer: "All gays should be killed at once, and as soon as possible!"

Lawyers' defense: "Outside of Priefer saying all gays deserve to die, he's been very respectful of them."


On that note, I can just imagine Priefer engaging in the following conversation with a gay man:

Samuel Noyoudint: "Aren't you that Vikings coach? Preffer, or something like that?"

Mike Priefer: "Yes, that's me. Mike Priefer - special teams coach for the Minnesota Vikings."

Noyoudint: "I read that Deadspin article, and as a gay man, I have to say I was horribly offended by your comments."

Priefer: "Comment"

Noyoudint: "What?"

Priefer: "I just made that one comment. Other than that, I've been all about the gays."

Noyoudint: "You said we should all be nuked!"

Priefer: "Yeah, so?"

Noyoudint: "So, did you really mean that?"

Priefer: "I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it."

Noyoudint: "So, you think me and all of the other gays should die?"

Priefer: "Yeah, but let's not blow this thing out of proportion here. Sure, I think you should all be killed at once, but besides that, I'm all for queers' rights."

Noyoudint: "If we were all dead, we wouldn't have any rights..."

Priefer: "Don't twist my words any more than the liberal media already has. Do I think all gays should die? Yes. However, do I think they should be given the right to marry after they're dead? Yes."

Noyoudint: "What?"

Priefer: "Surprised, aren't you? You see? I told you I was on your side."

Noyoudint: "Ugh!" ::storms off::

Priefer: "What the hell was his problem? You see? You try to be nice, decent, and even politically correct, and this happens. Geez..."

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014/07/19/3462027/vikings-admit-coach-said-nukeall-the-gays-insist-he-was-otherwise-completely-respectful-of-lgbt-advocates/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...