Skip to main content

My response to a Columbus Dispatch letter-to-the-editor

Recently, I read the following letter-to-the-editor in the Columbus Dispatch and felt the need to respond. The letter was entitled, "Young people have lost their sense of values." Here it is:

"In his Thursday letter 'Young people more flexible on gay marriage,' Ben Meacham said, 'The younger generation is adapting to an ever-changing society.'

Well, either it is adapting to an ever-changing society, or it is changing society itself.

I recall that back in the 1940s and 1950s (I am 81), abortion, euthanasia, cohabiting before marriage, children born out of wedlock and — gasp! — same-sex marriage were simply unheard of. The problem, as I see it, is the members of the current generation, because many, if not most, are completely comfortable with these developments.

Does anyone really think our society is better off by virtue of allowing 54 million abortions to have taken place?

It’s really not a question of society evolving or traditions changing. We’ve lost a good part of our moral values and, at the risk of being old-fashioned, I must ask: Whatever happened to sin?

JACK WOLOCK

Columbus"

First off, even if young people are "changing society itself," as Mr. Wolock implies, what he appears to forget is that change in society isn't always a bad thing. When African-Americans fought for voting rights, was this a bad change for society? When women fought for similar rights, was this a bad change for society? When mixed-race couples fought for equal marriage rights, was this a bad change for society? So, now that homosexuals are fighting for equal marriage rights, is that a bad change for society? Maybe the problem here isn't the younger generation "changing society itself," so much as it's people like Mr. Wolock whom refuse to adapt to change due to their prejudices.

Secondly, the writer attempts to throw everything at the wall and hope something sticks by listing all the changes he's seen in his lifetime or may potentially see down the road which he feels to be immoral, yet the list is so random and full of false equivalence, I have a great deal of trouble not picturing this man outside his home, yelling, "Get off my lawn! Wait, where am I?" So, abortion is to euthanasia is to cohabiting before marriage is to having children born out of wedlock is to same-sex marriage, eh? ...and the 1940s and 1950s were the good old days because Mr. Wolock didn't hear about such things occurring? Could this partly be due to there being less media outlets and no Internet? No matter what Mr. Wolock would like to believe, homosexuals were around during those two decades, couples lived together before being wed, and children were born out of wedlock. Also, the Civil Rights Act had yet to be signed. After those two decades, women and minorities continued seeing non-discrimination laws passed, as well as rape laws, equal pay laws, etc. So, yes, the 1940s and 1950s were the good old days, for heterosexual Christian white men. Shame on everyone else for wanting to "change society" by obtaining equal rights. Isn't that right, Mr. Wolock?

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2014/07/14/young-people-have-lost-their-sense-of-values.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...