Skip to main content

Sorry for the slowdown, but I'm officially back!

It's amazing how crazy these past six weeks have been, the past couple in particular. I suppose most people's schedules get overloaded around Thanksgiving and Christmas, to the point where, in a panic, they look at the calendar and say, "Wait... I just scheduled a half-hour lunch get together for Tuesday! I don't have a half hour to spare! Where did all my time go? Dammit! Where did I put my eggnog?" However, not only did things get hectic for me around the holidays, my brother, sister-in-law, and niece flew into town for a week and a half just two weeks after Christmas. So, between catching up and spending quality time with them and the rest of my family, looking after my niece at times, and my 2-year-old Siberian Husky always around contemplating about taking a baby toy into the backyard, it has been quite the enjoyable, yet draining week and a half, six weeks overall. For as sad as I was to see them travel back home, however, it will be kind of nice to get back into a regular routine again, with work, exercise, meals, etc. I have to say, after spending a week and a half with a 14-month-old toddler and being drained as a result, I honestly don't know how parents do it. It's really pretty amazing when one thinks about it. So, extra kudos to hard-working, loving parents out there! May you keep in tact your sanity throughout the raising process, well, most of it anyway. In any case, I'm sorry for the slowdown with my writing over the past week and a half, but life has finally calmed some, so I should be able to get back to it this week. Thanks for your patience and I hope you like what I have to offer in the coming days and weeks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...