Skip to main content

Mitch McConnell has trouble with chronology

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has frequently admitted he's not a scientist, but due to his recent comments, Democratic National Committee Communications Director Mo Elleithee added, "...Now we know he's not a mathematician or an economist either."

This is because a day after Republicans took control of Congress and long after the economy began to show signs of improvement following the recession, McConnell made the following statement:

"After so many years of sluggish growth, we're finally starting to see some economic data that can provide a glimmer of hope; the uptick appears to coincide with the biggest political change of the Obama Administration's long tenure in Washington: the expectation of a new Republican Congress."

Yeah, that's it... Unemployment is at 5.8 percent, far lower than where it had been previously, and yes, the decrease occurred prior to Republicans taking control Congress. The gross domestic product (GDP) also increased by 5% in the third quarter of 2014, which is quite an improvement, and once again, occurred prior to Republicans taking over Congress.

So, according to Mitch (and probably others like him), through a gradual nationwide psychic reading, we were able to improve the economy for the simple fact that we knew, come 2015 - 6 years after President Obama was sworn into office - Republicans would take control of Congress. It's as if he's seriously thinking to himself, "We haven't been in control of Congress until now, but the steadily improving economy? We built that!"

Based on that logic, it appears as if Mitch McConnell has either lost his marbles (figuratively speaking, of course) or he's mentally-challenged when it comes to chronology. Based on his rationale, or lack there of, expect the Senate Majority Leader to say the following things at some point in the future:

- "How about all of these people getting healthcare? Think it could have anything to do with the expectation of a new Republican Congress? I certainly think so."

- "It looks like pro-gay marriage laws are becoming more widespread across this country. Why is this do you think? I think it comes down to one thing and one thing only - the expectation of a new Republican Congress!"

- "So, some good things have happened these past six years when we weren't in power and even though we made it our #1 goal to make Obama a one-term president, I think we should receive all the credit for these good things now that we are finally in power, you know?"

No, not at all... As White House senior adviser Dan Pfeiffer said about the matter, quoting former Chicago Bulls player Stacey King, "I'll always remember this as the night that Michael Jordan and I combined for 70 points."

For the record, Jordan scored 69 of those 70 points.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/01/07/3609140/mcconnell-gdp-republicans/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/07/mitch-mcconnell-economy-republicans_n_6429912.html

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/228791-dems-mock-mcconnell-for-linking-gop-to-positive-economy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...