Skip to main content

Dear far-right: The rainbow flag and the Confederate flag are not equal

As stock in the Confederate flag is falling faster than Donald Trump for himself, some far-right conservatives have decided to counter this movement by equating the Confederate flag to the rainbow flag, insinuating that the two are equal, and if liberals can take down Confederate flags, conservatives should be able to take down the rainbow flags.

John Nolte, Breitbart writer, posted these tweets on the matter (@NolteNC), with all of the posts featuring a picture of a rainbow flag:

- "When will this symbol of anti-Christian hate come down?"

- "The hateful symbol of bigots who smear Christianity as hate speech must come down..."

- "Anyone who doesn't think the gay flag has become a symbol of bigotry and hate hasn't been paying attention."

Nolte followed these tweets with a writing entitled, "Take Down The Fascist, Anti-Christian Gay Pride Flag," where he wrote this:

"Under the banner of what is dishonestly called a gay pride or gay 'rights' flag, hate, fascism, and intolerance has festered for years, specifically against Christians and conservatives. Under the auspices of a 'rights and equality' symbol, Leftists have been on a rampage to take way the rights of others through bullying, lies, and online terrorism."

On his radio show, American Family Association's Bryan Fischer said this:

"If we are going to remove symbols of oppression from our culture, if we come to the point where we say any flag that represents bigotry, any flag that represents hatred, any flag that represents slavery or oppression needs to be removed, then I want to suggest that the next flag to go ought to be the rainbow flag of the Gay Reich. The rainbow flag represents the gay lobby, it represents Big Gay, it represents what I'm calling for the first time today, I'm introducing the new term: the Gay Reich. They've got a flag just like the Nazis had their flag."

These have to be two of the stupidest comparisons, if not the two stupidest comparisons, I've ever heard. John Nolte and Bryan Fischer, allow me to differentiate the rainbow flag from the Confederate and Nazi flags.

The Confederate flag symbolizes: Slavery, oppression, hatred, and intolerance

The Nazi flag symbolizes very similar things

The rainbow flag symbolizes: A group of people who have been fighting oppression, intolerance, and attempting to garner equal rights

In other words, the rainbow flag is as similar to the Confederate and Nazi flags as Bryan Fischer and John Nolte are to Albert Einstein. In other words, they're polar opposites.

I have a couple of questions for Nolte and Fischer: When have gays enslaved Christians? When has the LGBT community exterminated millions of Christians? Good luck answering with anything but "never."

Earth to John Nolte and Bryan Fischer, Christians are not the ones being oppressed by homosexuals; homosexuals are being oppressed by Christians. Straight heterosexual Christians have the right to marry nationwide. Homosexuals do not have that right nationwide, and yet it's the LGBT community oppressing Christians by trying to garner equal rights as those straight heterosexual Christians, while many of these straight heterosexual Christians are attempting to prevent that from happening?

The LGBT community's goal: To attain equal rights as heterosexuals nationwide

John Nolte and Bryan Fischer's goal: To legally be able to discriminate against homosexuals - in other words, be bigots

So, just like blacks have been offended by the Confederate flag and its connection to slavery and Jews have been offended by the Nazi flag and its connection to the Holocaust, John Nolte and Bryan Fischer are offended by the rainbow flag and its connection to them not be legally allowed to be (publicly and professionally) bigoted toward the LGBT community. If that isn't an example of false equivalence and of bass ackwards thinking, I don't know what is. I suggest John Nolte, Bryan Fischer, and their ilk enjoy the rights that African-Americans didn't have during slavery, that Jews didn't have during the Holocaust, that homosexuals don't fully have today, realize how lucky you are, and stop trying to oppress others from the rights you've taken for granted for so many years.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/conservatives_demanding_government_buildings_take_down_fascist_anti_christian_gay_pride_flag

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...