Skip to main content

Hannity: "Ban the Confederate flag? Then ban rap music too!"

It's really starting to crack me up how some on the far-right end of the political spectrum are flipping out over the Confederate flag debate not going their way. Last night, I wrote about Breitbart writer John Nolte and Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association comparing the rainbow flag to the Confederate and Nazi flags, suggesting that if and when the Confederate flag gets taken down, so too should the rainbow flag. Yes, because just like African-Americans were enslaved in the South, Christians have been enslaved by homosexuals. The situations are as identical as Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito.

Well, Fox News' Sean Hannity decided to join the crazy party when he made the following comments on his radio show yesterday:

"A lot of music by those [rap] artists is chock full of the n-word and the b-word and the h-word, and racist, misogynist, sexist anti-woman slurs none of those retail executes would be caught dead using. If it's OK for Obama's teenage daughters and people to go into these stores and buy music chock-full of the n-word, the b-word, well maybe we should consider banning that too. We're in the process of banning everything. Just a thought."

No, it wasn't really a thought. This is Sean Hannity after all. I love the redundancy in the first sentence. He must have been pretty angry. "...misogynist, sexist anti-woman..." Not only are the lyrics anti-woman, but they're also misogynist and sexist. I'll be damned. Perhaps he should have added a bit more to make his statement sound even more ridiculous - something like this:

"A lot of music by those rap artists is chock full of misogynist, sexist, anti-woman, woman-hating, slut-shaming, male chauvinistic, fairer-sex disliking slurs!"

There, that's better.

I also enjoyed Hannity's hyperbole at the end of his statement as well: "...maybe we should consider banning that too. We're in the process of banning everything." Yes, to take down the Confederate flag is to take away everything. That's "Deep Thoughts," brought to you by Sean Hannity.

Lastly, I have to ask, what in the hell is the h-word? Oh, is it hell? Whoops. My bad...

Like with John Nolte and Bryan Fischer before him, Sean Hannity's comparison completely misses the mark. It's so off the mark, it'd be like a quarterback attempting to throw a hail mary pass and instead getting called for intentional grounding. The Confederate flag was what the South stood by during the times of slavery, during the time of the Civil War, which they eventually lost. It became ubiquitous across the South again during the Civil Rights movement in the 50s and 60s. It has long been a symbol for racism and slavery. Rap music has been largely dominated by the African-American community, many of whom have family that strove for equal rights during the Civil Rights era, many of whose friends and family still continue to battle racism today, and many of whose lyrics shine a light on all of their past struggles to garner acceptance and equality. So, Sean, your comparison is utterly ridiculous. Banning rap music alongside the Confederate flag would be like banning Holocaust-survivor autobiographies alongside the Nazi flag. Yeah, like I said, utterly ridiculous...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/25/sean-hannity-rap-music_n_7662482.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...