Skip to main content

Just how offensive are the Confederate and rainbow flags? Just ask the Washington Post...

Last week, I wrote about how some conservatives were insisting that if the Confederate flag had to come down due to the hate and intolerance associated with it, so too did the rainbow flag. I know, apples and Big Macs, right? Well, just yesterday, The Washington Post released an article entitled, "Which is more taboo? The Confederate flag or the rainbow flag?"

The article spoke in-depthly about a poll that was conducted by The American Panel Survey (TAPS) in November of last year. The poll revolved around offensiveness - in particular, how offensive the Confederate flag, rainbow flag, n-word, and a burning flag (U.S.) were. While a very high percentage of Republicans and Democrats found the n-word and an American burning flag to be offensive, they greatly differed in opinion with regard to the Confederate and rainbow flags. While less than 50% of Republicans found the Confederate flag to be offensive, close to 70% were offended by the rainbow flag. In contrast, while 75% of Democrats found the Confederate flag to be offensive, just a little over 25% found the rainbow flag to be.

Elaborating further on the matter, the article states the following:

"A more complete analysis shows that being male, low-income, less well educated, Southern, white and Republican are related to reporting a lower level of offense at the Confederate flag. In contrast, being younger, non-Southern, Democrat and white are associated with reporting a lower level of offense at the gay pride flag."

So, Republican politicians can talk all they want about how their party is the party that abolished slavery (you know, back when progressives filled their party), in 2015, less than 1 in 2 Republicans are offended by a flag that symbolizes slavery and close to 3 in 4 are offended by a flag that symbolizes a fight for equality.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2015/06/30/which-is-most-taboo-the-confederate-flag-the-rainbow-flag-burning-a-flag/?tid=sm_tw

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...